These Softest Bakery Blueberry Muffins have sky-high domes, are moist and fluffy, and are flavorful as ever! These muffins are my new favorite and have taken a countless number of tests to get them just as they should be. When I tell you that you need to try these, I mean it. These are the easiest and yummiest muffins you will get your hands on.
Bakery Muffin Ingredient Overview
Butter: I use unsalted butter in the majority of my recipes! Doing so allows more freedom when adding salt in the recipe! Using butter in this recipes ensures that the flavor in these muffins BURSTS! The best part about using butter in this recipe is that we melt it, and this means that you don't have to set the butter out ahead of time or have it at a certain consistency! It's so so easy!
Granulated Sugar: This gives you that sweet taste in a muffin that you are looking for! If you prefer a sweeter muffin or are using blueberries that are a little bit on the tart side, add another ¼ cup of sugar! We will also add sugar to the tops of our muffins to add a crunch, sweetness, and gorgeous sparkle!
Sour Cream/ Greek Yogurt: I know. This recipe calls for 1 FULL cup of sour cream or greek yogurt. I promise that using 1 cup is totally worth it! I recommend using full-fat for best flavor, but using either of the two in a light version will still give you a light, fluffy muffin. Sour cream or greek yogurt will provide moisture in your muffins!
Eggs: Eggs add structure, flavor, and moisture to baked goods! By using 2 large eggs in this recipe, these muffins are sky-high, moist, and gorgeously flavored! Use room temperature eggs for best results- leave eggs out for an hour before baking or leave the eggs in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes before baking!
Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract adds flavor to these muffins! You could also add a dash of almond extract if you'd like an enhanced, nutty flavor!
Flour: All purpose flour does the trick in these muffins! No need for cake flour- these muffins are light and airy with regular, good-old all purpose flour! Flour gives us structure!
Baking Powder/ Baking Soda: Baking powder and baking soda give these muffins their gorgeous domes and light, airy texture. These leavening agents interact with the sour cream to make a tender muffin!
Salt: Salt, though it might sound crazy if you didn't know, brings out sweetness in baked goods! We only add ½ teaspoon!
Blueberries: I do not recommend using frozen blueberries in this recipe! I have had a TERRIBLE time working with them, and I just haven't found the same results that fresh blueberries provide! We use 2 cups of blueberries in these muffins to really let the blueberries shine! They are BURSTING! Adjust this as needed- it won't affect the structure of the muffin!
Mixing Blueberry Muffin Batter
The biggest tip I can give you here is to be careful when mixing. If you overmix these muffins, they will turn dense and dry quickly! These muffins, if the recipe is followed, are light, airy, and so dang moist! It would be such a bummer to have them come out like a hockey puck from doing MORE work! More mixing= more dense!
I like to whisk my dry ingredients, whisk my wet ingredients, and use a rubber spatula to combine the dry into the wet and blueberries into the wet. You'll notice in the recipe that you will fold half of the dry ingredients and blueberries into the wet ingredients at a time. This is to help prevent overmixing!
As soon as you see those clumps of flour disappear, stop mixing! The batter won't be smooth and silky at this point. There should be lumps, but you shouldn't be able to see lumps of flour!
Tips for Golden Muffins
A few tricks and tips will help you achieve those gorgeous, golden domes!
- Measuring Flour Correctly: Make sure that you spoon your flour into your measuring cups before leveling them off! If you scoop flour into the cups, you will have WAY too much flour, creating a drier and denser muffin!
- Sugar Garnish: I found that adding about ½ teaspoon of sugar to the tops of each muffin before baking creates a GORGEOUS, cracked, and sparkly appearance! This creates a crust of sorts to the tops of these muffins, and it it literally irresistible! Adding ½ teaspoon may seem a little excessive, but I promise you that it's perfect!
- Bake Time: Normally, I like to pull muffins and cupcakes out when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Additionally, I rarely allow vanilla cupcakes and muffins to turn a true golden brown on top, as usually it's a sign of a treat being overbaked. HOWEVER, in this recipe, due to a plethora of factors, these muffins will not dry out with a longer cook time! This means that they will bake for 25-30 minutes even though a toothpick may indicate that they are done closer to 20! Trust me on this one- this longer bake time will give you that golden top without drying out your muffin!
Serving and Storing
As with most treats, these Softest Bakery Blueberry Muffins are best when served fresh! If you let them cool for about 30 minutes, they will be set and ready to serve!
To store, cover at room temperature for up to four days or in the fridge for up to a week. PRO TIP: heat muffins in the microwave for 5-10 seconds before serving!
If you would like to freeze these, I would individually wrap each muffin in plastic wrap before storing muffins in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag. Freeze muffins for up to 3 months. You can thaw the muffins in the fridge or at room temperature before serving. If thawing at room temperature, remove plastic wrap to avoid condensation.
Softest Bakery Blueberry Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 14 muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins, Blueberry, Fruit, Spring
- Cuisine: American
These Softest Bakery Blueberry Muffins have sky-high domes, are moist and fluffy, and are flavorful as ever! They rival any bakery muffin, but they use ingredients and techniques from YOUR kitchen! These are the easiest and yummiest muffins you will get your hands on.
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup (165g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (260g) sour cream or greek yogurt, room temperature
- 2 large eggs (100g), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups (315g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (3g) salt
- 2 cups (250-300g) fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. After removing the butter from the heat, allow melted butter to sit for about 2 minutes before transferring to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk sugar and room temperature sour cream into the melted butter. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Mixture will be smooth and silky.
- FOLD half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients with a spatula. Add half of the blueberries, carefully folding them to avoid overmixing and bursting the blueberries.
- Fold the other half of the flour mixture and blueberries into the batter. DO NOT OVERMIX. As soon as you see the flour disappear, stop mixing. Batter will be incredibly thick- almost like a cookie dough. Batter will have lumps.
- Add about ¼ cup of batter to each muffin. Batter should fill the entire liner. Top muffins with ½ teaspoon of sanding sugar or granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 24-28 minutes. Tops will be golden brown and cracked. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins will come out clean.
- After removing muffins from the oven, allow them to sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack until cooled. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: Bakery-Style Muffins, Bakery Muffins, Blueberry Muffins, Spring Baking
These were absolutely amazing! So moist and delicious! Definitely a keeper!
Thank you so much for such a sweet review, Karina! So glad you enjoyed these!