Buttermilk Marble Bundt Cake is a swirled mixture between moist vanilla cake and flavorful chocolate cake! Made from just one simple batter, this cake is EASY, has clear instructions to ensure success, and is just too delicious. You can top this cake with frosting, ganache, powdered sugar… anything your heart desires!
What is Marble Cake?
Marble cake is a mixture between chocolate and vanilla cake. Due to the way the mixture of the two is swirled, it creates a marble-like appearance!
Some marble cakes require two separate batters, one for the chocolate cake and one for the vanilla cake, but THIS cake is made from ONE divided batter. It’s not only way easier, but it’s even more delicious!
Why You Need This Cake
- 2 bowls
- 15 minute prep time
- MOIST yellow cake
- Tender and flavorful chocolate cake
- Customizable with ANY topping
Not only can you make buttermilk from home, but it’s super easy to do so! Simply fill a measuring cup with 1 cup of room temperature milk. Then, remove 1 tablespoon of milk from the measuring cup before stirring in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or distilled vinegar. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes before using. The milk should be slightly chunky in texture.
Regardless of the quality of your pan (the one I used is $12), you can get this bundt cake out without breakage! Heavily spray the pan with cooking spray, making sure to focus on the center. Do not attempt to remove the cake from the pan for at least 45 minutes after baking. Run a knife around the outside of the pan between the pan and cake and then again at the center between the cake and pan. Quickly flip the bundt onto a wire rack or a cake plate and firmly tap the top of the pan to help release the cake from the pan.
You NEED to use room temperature ingredients for best results. This is a super simple cake that only requires a whisk, but the texture, taste, and appearance will be altered if you do not use room temperature ingredients. In this cake, your eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream need to be at room temperature. Simply leave the ingredients out for 1-2 hours ahead of time or place your eggs in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes, microwave your buttermilk for 15 seconds, and microwave your sour cream for 15 seconds.
Making the Swirl
Swirling this Buttermilk Marble Bundt Cake is one of the most important parts of the whole recipe. Doing it correctly will ensure that each cake piece comes out with that gorgeous marble appearance! Here’s how to do it-
- Pour 1/3 of the vanilla batter into the pan
- Place 1/4 cup of chocolate batter
- Place 1/4 cup of vanilla batter next to it
- Repeat until all of the batter is used
- Use a spoon create continuous “S” shapes around the bundt twice
Buttermilk Marble Bundt Cake is a moist, tender, and flavorful mix of chocolate and vanilla cake. It’s made in 2 bowls with a whisk and can be topped with any frosting your heart desires. It’s simple, quick to make, and absolutely addictive!
- 2 1/2 cups (350g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (5g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon (7g) salt
- 1 cup (200g) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150g), room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon (6g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup (230g) buttermilk, room temperature
For the Chocolate Batter
- 1/3 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons (35g) hot water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heavily spray a 10-inch bundt pan with cooking spray. This is essential for the bundt to come out cleanly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk vegetable oil, granulated sugar, eggs, and sour cream together until smooth and fully combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the wet ingredients, starting and ending by adding the dry ingredients.
- Transfer just under half of the the mixture to the medium bowl that contained the dry ingredients. Stir unsweetened cocoa powder and hot water into the batter to create the chocolate batter.
- Add 1/3 of the vanilla batter to your prepared pan. Add about 1/4 cup (this does not need to be precise) of chocolate batter on top of the vanilla batter. Then, add 1/4 cup (again, this does not need to be precise) of vanilla batter directly next to the chocolate batter. Repeat this process and work your way around the bundt.
- Use a spoon to create a continuous “S” shape around the bundt. Circle around the bundt twice without removing the spoon. DO NOT make any more swirls. You will end up with a blended/mixed batter rather than a marbled batter.
- Bake bundt for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs and the top springs back when poked with your finger.
- Let bundt cool for at least 45 minutes before carefully removing to finish cooling on a wire cooling rack!
- Top if/as desired with powdered sugar, frosting, ganache, etc. and store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Marble Cake, Chocolate Cake, Buttermilk Cake, Vanilla Cake, Bundt Cake