These Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies are massive, bakery-style cookies with old fashioned oats, chocolate chunks, and mini chocolate chips mixed in. These are thick, chewy, slightly crunchy on the outside, and soft as ever on the inside. They are your perfect cookie, as they require just a few simple ingredients, 30 minutes of chill time, and are the MOST addicting!
Making Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Whisk dry ingredients
- Cream room temperature butter and sugars together
- Add eggs and vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients
- Fold in chocolate chunks and chocolate chips
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Bake cookies
The important ingredient in these Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies is Old Fashioned Oats. I absolutely love the texture that oats provide in cookies, and you only achieve that flaky, satisfying texture with old fashioned oats. Quick oats will not create the same results!
You may notice that there are less oats in this recipe than a normal chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. I like the oats to add to the cookie, not to be the cookie! The 2 cups of oats allows for the true chewy, soft texture to shine while adding a hint of oats!
The chill time for these cookies is 30 minutes. I am not always the biggest fan of chill times, as I’d rather just pop my bakes straight into the oven.
However, I promise that these cookies are worth the 30 minute wait. The softness and freshness of these cookies comes from the chill time. Not only is the texture impacted by 30 minutes in the fridge, but the look and flavor are impacted too! Chill time prevents the dough from spreading, keeping your cookies thick as ever. The time in the fridge also allows the flavor to better settle, meaning that your classic chocolate chip cookie flavor truly shines!
Tips for Perfect, Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Leave your butter and eggs out on the counter for 1-2 hours before baking. Butter should be cool to the touch but slightly softened.
- Mixing: Do not overmix the batter after adding the dry ingredients. Doing so will ruin the texture of your cookies. Mix until the dry ingredients just disappear into the batter. The batter should be smooth.
- Extra Chocolate: The secret to gorgeous cookies is adding extra chocolate on top of the unbaked dough balls before baking! Sticking several mini chocolate chips and a few pieces of chopped chunks on top of the cookies really creates that bakery look!
- Baking: Overbaking will lead to crunchier cookies, while underbaking will lead to gooey, unstable cookies. I bake these cookies until the edges just start to turn light golden brown and the tops look just slightly wet. I like to rotate the pan halfway through baking for a more even bake.
- Massive Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- No-Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies are massive, bakery-style cookies with old fashioned oats, chocolate chunks, and mini chocolate chips mixed in. These are thick, chewy, slightly crunchy on the outside, and soft as ever on the inside. They are your perfect cookie, as they require just a few simple ingredients, 30 minutes of chill time, and are the MOST addicting!
For the Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Topping (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped chocolate chunks (I chop them into thirds)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, and salt together. Then, add old fashioned oats and whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat room temperature butter and both light brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat on medium/high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs into the batter, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract, and scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure the batter is combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix until dry ingredients are just combined, meaning only until the dry ingredients smoothly disappear. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and mini chocolate chips.
- Cover batter and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Roll dough into 3-4 tablespoon balls, and place on baking sheets at least 2 1/2 inches apart. If desired, add chopped chocolate chunks and mini chocolate chips to the tops of each ball.
- Bake cookies for 14-17 minutes, until the edges are light golden and the tops look just slightly wet. Overbaking will lead to dry cookies.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Chocolate Chunk, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Bakery-Style, Chewy, Soft