These Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies are massive, bakery-style cookies with old fashioned oats, chocolate chunks, and mini chocolate chips mixed in. These are thick, chewy, slightly crunchy on the outside, and soft as ever on the inside. They are your perfect cookie, as they require just a few simple ingredients, 30 minutes of chill time, and are the MOST addicting!
For the Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Topping (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped chocolate chunks (I chop them into thirds)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, and salt together. Then, add old fashioned oats and whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat room temperature butter and both light brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat on medium/high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs into the batter, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract, and scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure the batter is combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix until dry ingredients are just combined, meaning only until the dry ingredients smoothly disappear. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and mini chocolate chips.
- Cover batter and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Roll dough into 3-4 tablespoon balls, and place on baking sheets at least 2 1/2 inches apart. If desired, add chopped chocolate chunks and mini chocolate chips to the tops of each ball.
- Bake cookies for 14-17 minutes, until the edges are light golden and the tops look just slightly wet. Overbaking will lead to dry cookies.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Chocolate Chunk, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Bakery-Style, Chewy, Soft