Chewy Peanut Butter Blossoms are the most festive, comforting, and delicious cookies out there (I could go on forever). My Nana makes these cookies like nobody’s business. She is the Peanut Butter Blossom queen. It doesn’t matter the season, the occasion, the time of day… Nana has them ready for an army.
Peanut Butter Blossoms from a mix are pretty easy. I’ll give you that. However, HOMEMADE Peanut Butter Blossoms are another level of delicious. That flavor is truly unreal, the texture is soft as ever, and the sugary cracked tops are gorgeous. I’ll never beat Nana’s, but I can sure try!
Shortening vs Butter
I have probably done 10 tests of these cookies. I’ve used all butter, part butter and part shortening, and all shortening.
After endless peanut butter blossoms, I found that shortening grants you the puffiest, thickest, and easiest cookies. Even using cold butter and having the balls OR dough being refrigerated overnight, these cookies would puff up beautifully only to fall within 3 minutes after coming out of the oven. So exhausting and so discouraging.
I know shortening can rub people the wrong way, but if you are looking for tall blossoms, it’s the way to go!
Please use creamy peanut butter, and do not use any of the “good stuff”. If you are going to eat a cookie, eat a cookie. I would recommend Jif, Skippy- literally a store brand is the way to go with these. You want that peanut butter flavor to shine, and these non-organic brands will do the trick like no other!
Rolling and Coating Chewy Blossoms
My biggest tip when shaping these cookies is to shape them more like a tall log than a round ball. Trust me- this will help you to have even puffier cookies! You’ll still want a wide cookie base, but try to make your balls have a little height!
My secret to having extra sugary cookies is to roll them twice! The first roll is a nice little base. After rolling them and letting them sit while you are rolling the other balls, roll once more! Again, if you are going to eat a cookie, eat a good cookie!
The Tricks to Perfect Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
These tricks make these chewy peanut butter blossoms what they are. These few simple tips will make these cookies MORE addictive, MORE beautiful, and EASIER! You are welcome, friends!
- Don’t skip out on the brown sugar
- Use a ROOM TEMP EGG (can be slightly on the cooler side)
- Measure your flour correctly- spoon the flour into the measuring cup before leveling off
- Do not overmix
The classic soft, chewy, and delicious peanut butter cookies you know and love! Rolled in sugar and topped with a Hershey chocolate kiss, they are addictive, easy to make, and are perfect for any occasion!
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar for rolling
- about 24 Hershey Kisses
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream light brown sugar, granulated sugar, and shortening together until smooth using an electric mixer over medium speed.
- Add peanut butter, egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt, and baking soda together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, making sure not to overmix.
- Form 1- 1/2 tablespoon balls. Roll balls in extra granulated sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Re roll balls in sugar before baking if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. Cookies will be cracked on top, light golden brown in color, and will look slightly wet in the center.
- Remove cookies from the oven, letting the cookies sit for a minute before firmly placing a Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie.
- Let cookies completely cool before storing in an airtight container. Kisses will take several hours to fully harden.
Keywords: Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Hershey Kiss Cookies, Cookies, Christmas Cookies