This Chocolate Sprinkle Cake is a quick and easy, one-layer chocolate cake with the creamiest, fudgiest chocolate frosting and sprinkles on top! It’s moist, made with simple ingredients, and is sure to impress for any occasion!
For the Cake
- 1 3/4 cup (363g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (100g), room temperature
- 1/2 cup (130g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup (225g) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup (245g) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (56g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons (10g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 3/4 cup (160g) hot water
For the Frosting
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (54g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (240g) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup (80g) heavy cream
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper to ensure the cake comes out cleanly.
- In a large bowl, whisk granulated sugar, vegetable oil, room temperature eggs, room temperature sour cream, room temperature buttermilk, and vanilla extract together with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour properly-measured flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl and whisk. Mix only until you see the dry ingredients disappear into the batter, as overmixing could lead to dense cupcakes.
- Then, add your hot water to the batter and whisk until dispersed throughout.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 27-35 minutes or until the top of the cake looks slightly shiny, the center looks set, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs. Allow the cake to fully cool before frosting and decorating.
For the Frosting
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder on low speed until smooth. This should be about 2-3 minutes of mixing.
- Pour heavy cream into the frosting and beat on high speed for at least 3 minutes to create a light frosting.
- Frost the cake as desired and decorate with sprinkles and other toppings of choice.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Room temperature ingredients will allow the batter to come together more smoothly and results in a lighter cake. Your eggs, sour cream, and buttermilk should all be left out at room temperature for about an hour or read above in “Expert Tips” for quicker room temperature tricks!
Measuring Flour: Measure flour correctly by using a kitchen scale to measure 245g exactly. If you don’t have a scale, spoon the flour into your measuring cups before using a knife to level off the top. Overmeasuring flour will lead to dry cake.
Bake Time: Bake the cake until the top is domed, slightly shiny, the center springs back when poked, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some moist crumbs.
Keywords: Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Sprinkle Cake, Moist Cake