Easiest Moist Chocolate Cupcakes are genuinely the most delicious cupcakes. They are deep in chocolate flavor, moist and fluffy, and too easy to make. They are made with two bowls, one whisk, and within 30 minutes. These cupcakes are the richest, moistest, and yummiest cupcakes around…. and they’ll be your new staple!
These cupcakes are my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe, and I will bet you all the money in the world that these will change your life! I am VERY particular about chocolate cupcakes, but I am here to tell you that these are everything you need and more!
These Cupcakes are Addictive
These cupcakes are rich, chocolatey, moist, and fluffy. I swear that these are unreal. They are adapted from my Richest Chocolate Sheet Cake but are catered to cupcakes.
These cupcakes are light and fluffy, but they are in no way dry! This is due to the sour cream and buttermilk which both add tons of moisture. The tenderness of these cupcakes comes from these ingredients, so do not leave out the sour cream or buttermilk!
These have the perfect ratio of cocoa powder to sugar. These are not overly sweet, but they aren’t dark enough to bother the milk chocolate lovers of the world! They are somewhere right in the middle, and the chocolate flavor truly bursts!
“Easy” is in the title of these cupcakes for a reason- they are simple. This is one of those recipes that you’ll have ready before the oven finishes preheating. It’s a tough one to mess up if you follow the directions as written. In case you need to see it more clearly-
- 2 bowls
- No mixer
- OIL (not butter)
- Little mess/ cleanup
These cupcakes require ROOM TEMPERATURE INGREDIENTS. I’ll say it one more time just in case you missed it. These cupcakes require ROOM TEMPERATURE INGREDIENTS. Simply leave your refrigerated ingredients on the counter for 60-90 minutes before baking.
You forgot to do that and are in a time crunch? EASY!
- Egg: Before getting your ingredients, oven, and pans prepared, place your egg in a bowl of warm water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes while you’re preparing everything else!
- Sour Cream: Microwave your sour cream in a microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds. Stir. If needed, heat in 5 second intervals until sour cream is COOL to the touch.
- Buttermilk: Microwave milk for about 15 seconds. Milk will be cool to the touch. It should not be cold, but it should not be warm or hot. If the milk is too hot after heating, allow it to sit for a few minutes before using.
Tricks and Tips for Perfect Cupcakes
- Buttermilk: Don’t have buttermilk or don’t want to buy it? Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add milk to reach 1/2 a cup! Stir the mixture and let it sit for five minutes!
- Filling: Fill these bad boys up with about 1/4 cup of batter. They won’t look full… that is good. You could honestly do a little less than 1/4. If you add too much batter, these cupcakes will completely flatten in the oven or while they are cooling.
- Baking Quickly: Do not let your batter sit out on the counter for too long before baking. The buttermilk and sour cream interact with the rising agents and will need to be in the oven shortly after being mixed together. Your cupcakes will not rise properly if you let the batter sit too long.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup hot water (about 115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line cupcake tins with liners. This recipe yields between 16-18 cupcakes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- In another medium-sized bowl, whisk egg, sour cream, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla until combined. Make sure to use room temperature ingredients for best results.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, using the whisk to combine. After about 10 seconds of whisking, pour in your hot water. Do not overmix and make sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into each cupcake liner. Bake at 325 for about 18-22 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them, as overbaking will lead to dry cupcakes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake will come out with moist crumbs and the center of a cupcake will spring back when touched.
- Let cupcakes completely cool before topping with frosting.
Keywords: Chocolate Cupcakes, Moist Cupcakes, Fudge Cupcakes, Fudge Frosting