Take your perfect buttermilk pancake and turn them into the most fun, most celebratory, most colorful, and most flavorful treat... meet Funfetti Buttermilk Pancakes! Light and fluffy pancakes are filled with colorful sprinkles and white chocolate chips!
- Whisk dry ingredients
- Whisk wet ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients
- Fold in sprinkles and desired mix-ins
- Let batter rest
- Heat skillet
- Flour: All purpose flour works perfectly in these pancakes. Make sure to spoon flour into your measuring cups rather than scooping flour with the cups. The worst thing is dry and rock-hard pancakes... and adding too much flour will likely lead to these less-than-ideal results!
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda: These two leavening agents are what help to create tall, puffy, and fluffy pancakes!
- Salt: Salt brings out extra flavor!
- Sugar: There's just a touch of sugar in these in comparison to most baked goods! Regular granulated sugar will do the trick!
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk... incredibly important for buttermilk pancakes! Buttermilk impacts the texture, flavor, and look of these pancakes! You can make buttermilk from scratch if necessary! Refer to the FAQ section below!
- Eggs: You'll need two large eggs at room temperature!
- Butter: Melted butter. It can't be any easier! Chop your butter into tablespoon pieces and heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals or in a small saucepan over the stove until smooth.
- Vanilla, Butter, Almond Extracts: If you only use one, you need to use vanilla extract for flavor! If you have or can easily find butter extract, it adds the BEST funfetti, buttery flavor! If y
- Sprinkles: I highly recommend using soft jimmies in all baked goods. If you've ever had a crunchy spinkle destroy a soft baked good.... you know why. Here are the sprinkles that I swear by! They are soft, taste like a birthday cake in tiny form, and the colors are stunning! I use these in alllll of my treats with sprinkles!
- White Chocolate Chips: White chocolate chips add another layer of sweetness, gooey texture, and flavor! They are optional but so fun!
Though this might sound self-explanatory, buttermilk pancakes are made using buttermilk or sour milk. They are more tender!
For this recipe, I highly recommend using buttermilk! Buttermilk creates a lighter, fluffier, and taller pancake. You will not achieve the same results if you use regular pancakes!
You absolutely can make buttermilk from scratch. It won't be the exact same as store-bought, but it will be better than using regular milk! Add two tablespoons of milk to a liquid measuring cup before filling to the 2 cup line with milk. Stir the mixture before letting it sit for 5-10 minutes until it has thickened slightly and become chunky!
Funfetti is a classic flavor... some people refer to it as birthday cake or confetti! It's basically extra buttery vanilla with sprinkles!
Tips for Perfect Pancakes
Mixing: Mixing this batter is the most important part of this recipe. Overmixing will lead to flatter, dryer pancakes! You will FOLD the dry ingredients into the wet with a spatula. Don’t use a whisk, don’t use a wooden spoon…. I promise, use a spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet just until the flour disappears into the batter. The batter should be thick and lumpy!
Low-Temp Cooking: These pancakes are light, fluffy, and golden when cooked on medium/low temperature. If you cook these on high, the outside of the pancakes will burn while the insides will be gooey, rubbery, and wet in alllll of the wrong ways! I like to heat my pan at medium heat and immediately turn the temperature down a bit when I start cooking the pancakes!
Storing: I have found freezing cooled pancakes to yield the best results when reheating! To do this, wrap each pancake in cling wrap or place small sheets of parchment paper between each pancake when stacking! Place the pancakes in a freezer-safe container or large plastic bag before storing in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, do so on a griddle, toaster, microwave, or in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Funfetti Buttermilk Pancakes are your perfect light and fluffy pancake in birthday form. They are the most fun, most celebratory, most colorful, and most flavorful treat! They are filled with colorful sprinkles and white chocolate chips!
- 2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (4g) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30g) sugar
- 2 cups (420g) buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large (100g) eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup (55g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon butter extract or ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup (100g) rainbow sprinkles
- ½ cup (80g) white chocolate chips
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, buttermilk, large eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract together.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, carefully folding the mixture with a spatula. Do not overmix. Batter should be thick and have lumps.
- Carefully, fold in sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Place a large skillet over medium/low heat. Allow the skillet to heat up while your batter is resting.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray right before cooking the pancakes. You will only need to spray the pan once.
- Spoon ¼-1/3 cup of batter for each pancake onto the skillet. Let pancakes cook on each side for about 1 ½-3 minutes or until light golden brown. The surface of the pancake should begin to bubble and the bubbles should pop before flipping. You should be able to easily scoot the spatula under the pancake when flipping. If the pancakes are browning too quickly, lower the heat.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a wire rack if you are not serving straight from the skillet!
Keywords: Funfetti, Birthday Pancakes, Brunch and Breakfast, Buttermilk Pancakes, Funfetti Buttermilk Pancakes