There's nothing better than Edible Cookie Dough Truffles. A chocolate chip cookie dough bite covered in chocolate and decorated with chocolate, chocolate chips, and sprinkles. In case you haven't had cookie dough truffles before, they are simply the most fabulous treat- an overwhelmingly delicious, unbelievably easy, no-bake recipe that allows you to decorate any way you'd like!
How To Make Cookie Dough Truffles
- Make edible cookie dough
- Freeze dough balls
- Dip dough balls in melted chocolate
- Decorate as desired
- Refrigerate until hard
Are These Safe to Eat?
Other than the fact that you'll probably eat 10 of these in one sitting, these cookie dough truffles are safe to eat! You will heat-treat flour to kill off the bacteria that can cause major issues. Though it is an extra step in the process, it's better to be safe than sorry with raw flour!
You can heat-treat the flour in one of two ways!
Microwave: You can place the flour in a microwave-safe bowl in 45 second increments. Stir between each increment to allow for even heating. Heat until the flour reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit throughout.
Oven: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Sprinkle flour on a baking sheet with a lip. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the flour reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir as the flour is baking.
Edible Dough Mix-Ins
Not in the mood for regular chocolate chip cookie dough? Looking to spice things up in a regular cookie dough? Luckily, this dough is incredibly customizable as long as none of your mix-ins are too large!
Some fun things to add to your cookie dough- walnuts, pecans, almonds, mini M&Ms, dried fruit, raisins, sprinkles... the opportunities are endless!
Chocolate Tips and Tricks
Heating: It is SUPER important to heat your chocolate in 30 second intervals. If you heat in intervals any higher, you will risk burning your chocolate. Even if you don't burn it, you could risk uneven heating, which will make your dipping SO much harder and much less appealing! If you want to try another method, I'd recommend a double boiler. You can make a homemade one by placing a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of water over medium heat. Stir until melted!
Dipping: I think I FINALLY feel confident with a process for dipping. Here is what works for me- Stick a toothpick deep into chilled cookie dough ball, dip and swirl ball in melted chocolate, use a spoon to help cover the ball in chocolate if needed. Hold the truffle above the bowl and twirl it to remove excess chocolate. Then, holding the truffle upright from the toothpick, place the fork below the truffle and gently push up on the truffle to remove the toothpick from the dough ball. Use the toothpick to push the truffle off of the fork onto a piece of parchment paper.
My favorite part about these edible cookie dough truffles is that there are endless ways to decorate these them! Decorating can be SO fun! This is the perfect treat to make with friends, little ones, or if you are looking for an easy creative outlet in the kitchen! Here are some decorating ideas, many of which you'll see-
- Rolling in mini chocolate chips
- Drizzling with melted chocolate
- Rolling or topping with sprinkles
- Topping with crushed up pieces of cookies (chocolate chip, Oreo, etc.)
Edible Cookie Dough Truffles
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes: Decorating Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Yield: 16 truffles 1x
- Category: Cookie Dough, No-Bake, Truffles
- Cuisine: American
Edible Cookie Dough Truffles are chocolate chip cookie dough bites covered in chocolate and decorated with chocolate, chocolate chips, and sprinkles. In case you haven't had cookie dough truffles before, they are simply the most fabulous treat- an overwhelmingly delicious, unbelievably easy, no-bake recipe that allows you to decorate any way you'd like!
For the Cookie Dough
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour, heat treated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
For the Coating
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ½ tablespoon vegetable shortening
For the Cookie Dough
- Heat-treat flour in the microwave in 45 second increments, stirring between each round or in the oven for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Temperature of the flour should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit throughout. Allow flour to cool and sift before using.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream room temperature butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and milk to the mixture, beating until smooth and combined.
- Sprinkle salt and slowly add flour to the batter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Fold in mini chocolate chips and other mix-ins as desired.
- Roll dough into 1 ½-tablespoon balls. Place balls on a piece of parchment paper and freeze for 25 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in 30 second increments, heavily stirring between each round. You can also melt chocolate over a double boiler for more even heating. To make a homemade double boiler, place chocolate in a heat-safe bowl on top of a saucepan of water over medium heat. Stir until melted.
- Stir vegetable shortening into chocolate until smooth.
- Dip each ball, individually, into the chocolate. You can use a toothpick, a spoon and fork, or a dipping tool. Read above for my tips on dipping!
- Place dipped balls on a sheet of parchment paper. If you would like to add toppings, do so when the chocolate is wet. Allow chocolate to harden before placing in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- If looking to drizzle chocolate, do so at this stage. Place in the fridge for another 5 minutes or until serving.
- Store truffles in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months in an airtight container.
Keywords: Cookie Dough, Edible Cookie Dough, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Truffles, Chocolate Truffles, No-Bake
Françoise La Prune says
They look soo good! Thank you for sharing!!! And what beautiful photography you have!!! Well done! 😍
Thank you so much for your sweet comment! Your words mean so much!