Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is made with easy ingredients and approachable techniques. This dough has the classic cookie dough flavor we all love with the relief of heat-treated flour! There’s nothing better than cookie dough, and there’s nothing you can say to prove me wrong. Say hello to a homemade, safe-to-eat, and delicious as ever chocolate chip cookie dough. You’re welcome.
- Unsalted butter: It’s super important to use room temperature butter in this recipe, as the consistency of your dough will be altered if you use butter that is too soft or too hard! I especially recommend unsalted butter in this recipe because the salt we add is a KEY ingredient in this recipe!
- Light brown sugar AND granulated sugar: BOTH sugars add to flavor, texture, color, and moisture in this recipe!
- Milk: ANY milk you have laying around will work in this recipe! If you don’t have any milk, heavy cream or even water could work! This smooths the dough!
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract, as always, rounds out the flavor in a recipe! It truly enhances the overall flavor!
- All purpose flour: You will use plain, simple all purpose flour in this recipe to provide structure! You will heat treat the flour to kill off bacteria before incorporating it into the batter!
- Salt: When I tell you that salt is one of the most important ingredients in this recipe, I mean it! It brings out the sweetness in the recipe and gives you the classic cookie dough flavor!
- Mini chocolate chips: What’s chocolate chip cookie dough without chocolate chips? Use any flavor and any kind you would like! Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking! I like using semi sweet mini chocolate chips!
Edible Cookie Dough uses heat-treated flour. Regular flour can be dangerous to consume, so heating the flour to 165 degrees Fahrenheit kills the bacteria that can be harmful.
Do not bake this edible cookie dough! It does not contain baking powder and/or baking soda, so your cookies will not rise at all. Also, the ratio of ingredients will not yield gorgeous chocolate chip cookies!
You ABSOLUTELY can! Feel free to add nuts, raisins, sprinkles… any mix-ins your heart desires! This dough is incredibly customizable and allows for a lot of freedom after preparing the base dough!
Raw flour can be dangerous. However, if you cook the flour to reach a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit throughout, you will be good to go, as the bacteria will be killed!
How to do this, you ask?
- Microwave: Microwave your flour in a heat-safe bowl in 1 minute increments. Stir thoroughly after each interval. Make sure that when you take the temperature of the flour, that all of the flour reaches 165 degrees. It’s common that one section of the bowl reaches 165 while another is 140… stir some more and put that bowl back in the microwave! My flour took about 4 rounds in the microwave!
- Oven: You can also heat-treat the flour in the oven! Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your flour on a baking sheet that has a lip, and place that sheet in the oven. You’ll want to stir the flour around every few minutes so that the heating is even! My pan was in the oven for about 10 minutes total when I used this method!
The flour can get a little chunky as it’s heating. I haven’t seen many others talk about this, but it happens every time I heat-treat flour. For this reason, I recommend sifting your flour before adding it into your batter!
Storing Edible Cookie Dough
PRO TIP: this dough tastes even better after being in the fridge…. even for 30 minutes. The flavors settle, the texture sets in a bit, and it’s honestly life-changing.
You will want to store this dough in the fridge in an airtight container if you aren’t serving it immediately! It can last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also keep it in the freezer in an airtight container or storage bag for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature!
Say hello to a homemade, safe-to-eat, and delicious as ever chocolate chip cookie dough. This is your regular cookie dough recipe but with heat-treated flour. Made in 15 minutes and with simple ingredients, this will be both the quickest and most addictive treat to whip up!
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (140g) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (38g) milk
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (210g), heat treated then sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon (2g) salt
- 1/2 cup (98g) mini chocolate chips
- Heat treat your flour in the microwave in 45 second increments, stirring between each round or in the oven, stirring the flour for about 10 minutes. Temperature of the flour should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit throughout. Let flour cool for at least 10 minutes before sifting and using. Read above for more tips.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat room temperature butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar until smooth and creamy. This should be between 2-3 minutes.
- Mix milk and vanilla extract into the batter until smooth.
- Sprinkle salt into the batter before adding sifted, heat-treated flour. Mix until smooth and fully combined.
- Add chocolate chips or other desired mix-ins into the batter and mix until incorporated.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Chocolate Chip Cookies, Edible Cookie Dough, Safe-to-Eat Cookie Dough, Heat-Treat