This Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough is the epitome of celebratory treats. This is the classic cookie dough you know and love, but it is safe-to-eat with heat-treated flour! It has rainbow sprinkles folded in and other optional and customizable mix-ins to create a no-bake treat that is too fun, incredibly easy to make, and so delicious to eat!
There are two main ways to heat-treat flour! Both work wonderfully, and both will kill off any bacteria in your flour! This means that your cookie dough will be safe to eat!
- Microwave: Place your flour in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 45 second increments, stirring between each round. This ensures that the hot spots the microwave creates are properly distributed! Heat flour until its temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. If one area of the bowl is above 160 and another is below, heat flour for another round! This process takes about 3 rounds in my microwave, but all microwaves are different!
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay flour on a cookie sheet with lips to ensure no flour spills over the sides of the pan. Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes, making sure to stir the flour several times to even the heating. The temperature of the flour should reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit throughout. If only part of the pan is at the correct temperature, continue heating until all flour reaches 160 degrees.
After heating, allow flour to cool for about 10 minutes. I recommend sifting the flour before using, as the flour can become lumpy and can even have some small, finicky pieces that will not fully combine in your cookie dough. This will leave little white pieces throughout!
Can I Bake This Dough Into Cookies?
I would not recommend baking this dough into cookies, as there is no leavening agent incorporated! Without a leavening agent like baking powder or baking soda, these cookies would fall flat, would spread, and would probably be very underwhelming.
If you are looking for a sprinkle-filled cookie, I have you covered. These Soft Sprinkle Cookies, are literally heavenly, are so fun to bake, and are bursting with sprinkle fun!
Edible Dough Mix-Ins
The beauty of this edible funfetti cookie dough recipe is that it allows for SUCH freedom! This dough is a fabulous base for tons of different additions! I, personally, love it plain and simple with rainbow sprinkles! However, you are more than welcome to add whatever toppings and mix-ins your heart desires! Here are a few fun ideas:
- white chocolate chips
- sprinkle balls
- dried fruit
Though I always recommend following recipes as written, I completely understand that we sometimes need to switch things up! In this recipe, the following ingredients can be substitued for other ingredients!
Unsalted Butter: If needed, salted butter can be used! Leave out the salt in the recipe if you do use salted butter, though! You can also use vegetable shortening in this recipe instead of butter, though the flavor of the dough will not be as prominent!
Milk: Though I was not specific with the milk required in this recipe, you can easily use any milk you have on hand- 1%, 2%, whole, coconut, almond... whatever you need to use! You can even use heavy whipping cream! If you do use a milk like coconut or almond, your flavor will differ! Worst comes to worst, use water!
Butter Extract: Butter extract, to put it simply, is fake butter flavoring. Well, classic funfetti cake mixes and cookie doughs from the store are often sporting that fake butter flavor we know and love so well. You are more than welcome to completely leave it out, but I think adding a touch of butter extract gives the dough that "fake" flavor that is such a staple of the funfetti flavor!
Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cookie Dough, No Bake, Funfetti, Confetti
This Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough is the epitome of celebratory treats. Classic, safe-to-eat cookie dough with rainbow sprinkles folded in, this cookie dough is simply too fun, incredibly easy to make, and so delicious to eat!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon of butter extract (optional)
- 1 ⅓ cup flour, heat-treated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup rainbow jimmies
- Heat-treat flour. This can be done in the microwave in 45 second intervals or in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes. Make sure to stir throughout to ensure the flour heats evenly. Read above for further direction. The flour needs to reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit throughout to ensure the bacteria is killed!
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. A stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer will both work perfectly. Mix on medium speed. It should take about 2-3 minutes for the mixture to reach desired consistency.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, and butter extract to the mixture. Mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly mix flour and salt into the batter, mixing on low until dough becomes smooth.
- Fold sprinkles into the batter. Add other mix-ins as desired.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
Keywords: Sprinkles, Confetti, Funfetti, Edible Cookie Dough, Cookie Dough, No-Bake
Leave a Comment!