There is nothing better than chocolate cake.... and this Easiest Flourless Chocolate Cake is one of the bests. This cake is RICH, fudgy, moist, and so chocolatey. Not only can this cake be made in less than 45 minutes, but there are 6 ingredients in this cake, and it's naturally gluten free!
Why You Need To Make This Flourless Cake
- 1 bowl
- 6 ingredients
- 1 whisk
- 1 spatula
- 25 minute baking time
- No/ Easy Decoration
- Quick cleanup
Why You Will Love This Easy Cake
- GLUTEN FREE
- Easy to serve and store
You'll notice that the recipe calls for baking bars. Normally, I try to make recipes as easy and as user friendly as possible. Not everyone has baking bars in their kitchen. From my experience with this recipe, baking bars give you the best flavor and texture. I work with Baker's and Ghirardelli most often when using chocolate baking bars.
Baking bars are PURE chocolate. Chocolate chips contain certain ingredients that prevent them from fully melting to give you that smooth, silky consistency we need in this cake.
You can still make this recipe with chocolate chips, but I would recommend using your better quality chocolate chips if you do.
Customizable Chocolate Flavor
This cake is meant to be rich, so I would steer away from using milk chocolate. However, you'll notice that the recipe calls for a semi sweet bar AND a bittersweet bar. I found that using both gave the cake the best flavor without it being overly sweet or overly bitter for my taste.
I would MORE than recommend trying the recipe as it is written, but if you are sensitive or have a deep preference for sweeter chocolate OR darker chocolate, use what works for you! Two semi sweet bars will give you a sweeter cake, and two bittersweet bars will give you a more bitter chocolate taste.
- Preparing the Pan: Do not skip the pan prep. This cake is fragile and can be sticky because of how moist it is. The cake WILL get stuck to or in the pan if you do not properly prep your pan. I spray the pan with cooking spray, line the pan with parchment paper, and then spray the top of the parchment.
- Room Temperature Eggs: This recipe calls for room temperature eggs. You can leave the eggs on your counter for 1-2 hours before baking, or you can place your eggs in a bowl of hot/warm water for 10 minutes before baking.
- Cocoa Powder: Make sure that you use UNSWEETENED cocoa powder! That is super important for this recipe. I use the Hershey brand! I like to sift my cocoa powder, as cocoa powder can often clump together. This cake and the batter is smooth and velvety in nature, so I would highly recommend sifting the cocoa powder before adding it into the batter.
- Bake Time: This cake is FUDGY and moist. For the majority of my recipes, I recommend baking until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the treat comes out with a few moist crumbs. However, this recipe may still have its moist and fudgy consistency even with a clean toothpick. Keep an eye on your cake starting at the 20 minute mark. As soon as it has those moist crumbs or is clean, pull it out!
Flourless Chocolate Cake is a rich, fudgy, dense, and decadent option to impress a crowd. This naturally gluten free dessert is as simple as can be with 6 ingredients and 30 minute process!
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter
- 4 oz (118g) bittersweet baking bar
- 4 oz (118g) semisweet baking bar
- 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs (150g), room temperature
- ½ cup (47g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8 inch round pan with cooking spray AND line the bottom with parchment paper. Cake will stick to the pan if you are not generous.
- In a medium saucepan, melt chopped butter and chopped chocolate over medium heat. Once fully melted, let cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer slightly cooled chocolate and butter mixture to a large bowl. Whisk sugar and vanilla extract into the bowl until smooth.
- Add eggs to the mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour in cocoa powder after eggs are incorporated, making sure the batter is fully combined without overmixing. Batter will be slightly wet and thick.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 22-26 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean or with few moist crumbs. The center may look slightly wet, but if the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Cool pan on the counter or on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before using a knife to help loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Run the knife around the edge of the pan a few times before flipping the cake over onto a platter or cake stand. The cake is fragile, so take caution when doing this.
- Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes before topping with whipped cream, confectioners’ sugar, ice cream, chocolate ganache… whatever your heart desires!
- Store at room temperature for up to 4 days tightly covered or in an airtight container. The whole cake or individual pieces can be stored in the freezer, wrapped in cling wrap, for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Flourless Chocolate Cake, 6-ingredient cake, Chocolate Cake