This Silky Fudge Cream Pie is the richest, most decadent treat! It has an Oreo crust base, is filled with the most chocolatey cream filling, and is topped with a homemade whipped cream! This pie may look a bit daunting, but it's actually a super quick bake made with super simple ingredients! With easy-to-follow instructions, you'll be mastering this pie in no time!
Chocolate Pie Steps
- Make the Oreo Crust and allow it to cool
- Whisk dry ingredients in a medium saucepan
- Slowly add wet ingredients into the dry
- Whisk over medium/low heat until boiling
- Turn down the heat and cook for one more minute
- Stir in butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract
- Pour pie filling into pan
- Chill for at least 6 hours
- Prepare whipped cream
- Decorate chilled pie
Making The Oreo Crust
I have to be honest when saying that my favorite part of any pie with an Oreo crust.... is the Oreo crust. I just LOVE it, and I think it adds such a nice crunch, the right amount of buttery sweetness, and a gorgeous look to any pie with an Oreo base!
The best part about an Oreo base is how EASY it is! You will start by melting 1 stick of butter (½ cup) in the microwave in 40 second intervals or in a small saucepan over medium heat. While you let the butter cool, prepare your Oreo crumbs!
You'll take 28 Oreos (a few less than one regular pack of Oreos), and you'll crush them down to fine crumbs. You can do this in a blender, a food processor (preferred), or in a plastic Ziploc bag with a wooden spoon or meat tenderizer. You don't want any large chunks of Oreo cookie! Mix the fine Oreo crumbs into the butter before using your hands to pat the mixture into a 9 or 9.5 inch pie pan. The crust should cover the bottom and sides of the pan!
Chocolate Filling Tips and Tricks
- Whisking: You absolutely NEED to whisk the chocolate mixture while it is on the stove. If you are not thoroughly and consistently whisking, you risk burning your mixture, scrambling the eggs, and creating a rubbery chocolate filling.
- Chocolate: I recommend using your better quality chocolate chips in this recipe. In most cream pies, pure baking bars are used because they yield a smoother, creamier texture. However, after doing some experimenting, you can still get a thick, fluffy, and smooth chocolate filling when using better quality chocolate chips- I used Ghirardelli!
- Cling Wrap: Be very intentional about how you cover your pie! You want to make sure the cling wrap lays on the surface of your pie! Do not simply place it over your pie pan!
Chilling, Storing and Serving
This Silky Fudge Cream Pie requires at least 6 hours of chilling in the fridge, though overnight is preferred. It is best served cold and is easier to slice the colder it is!
Slice with a sharp knife, and wipe the knife between each pie cut! Here is your warning: the first slice of this pie will not come out clean and perfect, but I promise it will be just as yummy!
This pie can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to four days!
This Silky Fudge Cream Pie is the richest, most decadent treat! It has an Oreo crust base, is filled with the most chocolatey cream filling, and is topped with a homemade whipped cream!
For the Crust
- 28 Oreo Cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
For the Crust
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a microwave safe bowl in 40 second intervals or in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Allow it to cool while making the crumbs.
- Use a food processor (prefeered), strong blender, or Ziploc bag and meat tenderizer/wooden spoon to bring the Oreo cookies to fine crumbs. Ensure there are no large pieces of Oreo cookies. You want smooth, fine crumbs!
- Mix butter and Oreo crumbs together.
- In a 9 or 9.5 inch pie pan, pat the Oreo mixture on the bottom and around the sides of the pan. Smooth the crust as best as you can using your hands, the back of a spoon, or a glass!
- Bake the crust at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Allow the crust to cool.
For the Pie Filling
- Over a medium saucepan, sift sugar, corn starch, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt together. Whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, heavy whipping cream, and egg yolks together.
- Over medium heat, slowly add the milk mixture to the saucepan. Whisk consistently until mixture begins to boil. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, lower the temperature and cook for another minute until thick and smooth.
- Immediately after removing the mixture from the heat, stir in unsalted butter, chopped chocolate, and vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate filling into the prepared crust. Place a piece of cling wrap on the surface of the pie and allow it to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes before transferring to the fridge. Allow pie to chill for at least 6 hours.
For the Whipped Cream
- After pie has chilled, prepare whipped cream by whipping heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together on low speed in a medium-sized bowl.
- Increase speed slowly as you mix. The mixture will become smooth and silky. A beater lifted from the whipped cream should create soft/medium peaks. Do not overbeat.
- Spread or pipe the whipped cream over the chilled pie. Top with chocolate shavings, chocolate curls, chocolate chips, or any other desired topping!
Keywords: Chocolate Pie, Cream Pie, Chocolate