Chewy Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches are buttery and soft funfetti cookies with creamy marshmallow fluff frosting stuffed between them. I don't think this could get any better. These cookies have no chill time, require simple ingredients, and are quite possibly the most fun and most delicious recipe on this blog.
Making Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches
- Make Funfetti Cookie Dough
- Bake Cookies
- Prepare Marshmallow Fluff Frosting
- Fill Cookies
- Roll Cookies in Sprinkles
Baking Soft, Chewy Sprinkle Cookies
The secret to the softest, chewiest cookies? Not overbaking these cookies. I bake my tablespoon-sized dough balls for 8 minutes, and I rotate my pan halfway through for a more even bake!
These cookies should NOT be light golden brown... they shouldn't really have any color at all on top! They should look just set, meaning they shouldn't look wet or gooey at all. They should look dry with a slight glimmer when they are baked.
I let the cookies cool on the baking sheet because it helps them to finish cooking and set up a bit more stable. This is because they are being used for sandwiches and should not break when being assembled. If you fear you've overbaked your cookies, remove them from the baking sheet immediately to prevent the cookies from further baking!
What's softer, smoother, more velvety, and more fun than marshmallows? I LOVE marshmallows, and I LOVE marshmallow filling. I use marshmallow filling in my Chocolate Whoopie Pies and S'mores Cake Balls.... with how good those treats are, I figured there would be no better filling for these cookie sandwiches!
This filling is SO easy to whip up- whip your butter and powdered sugar together until smooth and combined before adding marshmallow fluff and heavy whipping cream. Whip the frosting for about 2 minutes until smooth!
Tips and Tricks For Perfect Cookie Sandwiches
- Room Temperature Ingredients: I will never stop advocating for room temperature ingredients. Considering this recipe has just a few simple ingredients and no chill time, making sure you're using good quality ingredients at the right temperature is the least you can do, right? Leave your butter out for about an hour until it has softened but is still cool to the touch. Leave your egg out for an hour or place it in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using!
- Jimmies: You'll want to use jimmies rather than nonpareils in these cookies. Using these sprinkles prevents your sprinkles from bleeding color!
- Cooling: You'll want to wait until your cookies are completely cool and set before attempting to decorate. These cookies are soft as ever and require a bit longer to set and become stable enough to handle!
The best part about these cookie sandwiches besides how easy they are, how quick you can whip them up, and how absolutely addictive they are is the fact that they are customizable!
If you prefer something other than marshmallow filling or don't have marshmallow fluff on hand, you could easily use American buttercream, chocolate fudge frosting, chocolate ganache, store-bought frosting... whatever you have or whatever you're craving!
Additionally, you can switch the sprinkles for any occasion- red and green for Christmas, black and orange for Halloween, pink or blue for gender reveals... these are the PERFECT cookie for any celebration, any season, and any festive event!
Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Cookies, Funfetti, Cookie Sandwiches
- Cuisine: American
Chewy, buttery, and soft funfetti cookies with creamy marshmallow fluff frosting stuffed between them. These cookies have no chill time, require simple ingredients, and are the most fun and most delicious recipe to whip up for any occasion!
For the Cookies
- 1 ¾ cup (245g) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (4g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (4g) salt
- ½ tablespoon (5g) corn starch
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg (50g), room temperature
- ½ tablespoon (5g) vanilla extract
- optional: ¼ teaspoon butter extract
- ⅓ cup rainbow jimmies (70g)
For the Filling
- ⅓ cup (74g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (80g) powdered sugar
- ¾ cup (10g) marshmallow fluff
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (53g) rainbow jimmies
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and corn starch.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar together until smooth, light, and creamy. This should be about 2 minutes on medium/high speed.
- Beat egg, vanilla extract, and butter extract into the batter, mixing until smooth and combined.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you add the flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are just combined, as overmixing will impact the texture of your cookies.
- Form dough into slightly larger than 1 tablespoon balls. Place balls at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. You will most likely need more than one pan, as you want to make sure the cookies have enough room to spread.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes or until the tops are JUST set. Cookies should not look wet but should not be golden or light golden brown in color. After removing cookies from the oven, allow them to cool and set on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes. If you fear you have overbaked the cookies, meaning they look golden around the edges, immediately remove them from the baking sheet to prevent further baking.
- Let cookies cool before assembling sandwiches.
For the Frosting
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and powdered sugar until smooth. If using a hand mixer, you will need to use room temperature butter.
- Add marshmallow fluff and heavy whipping cream, and beat frosting for about 2 minutes until smooth, light in color, and velvety!
- Place marshmallow filling into a Ziploc bag or piping bag if desired. Doing so will give you greater control and a smoother finish when filling the cookies.
- Pipe or spread filling onto half of the cookies before placing another cookie on top of the filled cookies.
- Roll the cookie sandwiches in a bowl of remaining sprinkles for extra decoration.
- Cover and store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Cookie Sandwiches, Funfetti, Sugar Cookie, Marshmallow, Frosting
Leave a Comment!