Funfetti Sprinkle Whoopie Pies are two funfetti cake pieces filled with marshmallow filling and rolled in rainbow sprinkles. These whoopie pies take 30 minutes to whip up, are a unique treat, and are literally heavenly to eat.
What Are Whoopie Pies?
Whoopie pies are two round, domed cake pieces in sandwich form. Normally, whoopie pies have a velvety filling or frosting stuffed between the two cake discs.
These whoopie pies show off the funfetti flavor, as they have a touch of extra extract and are bursting with rainbow sprinkles. The filling is made from butter, powdered sugar, and marshmallow fluff to create the softest, smoothest, and most delicious cream frosting.
- All Purpose Flour: Measuring your flour correctly is the best way to guarantee these funfetti sprinkle whoopie pies come out successfully. Baking is a science, and if you do not add enough flour, your cake pieces will not have enough structure to puff up into those gorgeous domes. If you add too much flour, you’ll end up with dry and dense cake pieces. Either use a scale to measure in grams or carefully spoon flour into your measuring cups before using a knife to level off the top.
- Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil in cakes and cupcakes creates the lightest, fluffiest, and moistest bakes. I could not recommend it more in this recipe, as there is extra flour in comparison to a normal cake recipe to help with structure. Using vegetable oil helps to bring back moisture as opposed to butter.
- Butter/ Almond Extract: The funfetti flavor is a classic, distinct one. I find that using butter or almond extract will add a nice touch to really take these whoopie pies home and bring out that funfetti taste. I, personally, use butter extract for the deepest flavor.
- Marshmallow Fluff: The filling of these whoopie pies is genuinely unstoppable thanks to the not-so-secret ingredient of marshmallow fluff. If you can’t find it at your local grocery store or online, you can make it from home!
- Sprinkles: I recommend using jimmies as opposed to any other sprinkles. Here are the sprinkles I use. Soft, chewy sprinkles will create the softest texture.
Whoopie Pie Process
- Whisk dry ingredients in one bowl
- Whisk wet ingredients in another bowl
- Combine wet and dry ingredients with a whisk
- Fold in rainbow sprinkles
- Spoon batter onto cookie sheets
- Prepare filling
- Fill and decorate
Whoopie pies are sandwich treats made of two cake pieces and marshmallow filling. They are a combination of a cake and a cookie, as they are baked and appear similar to a cookie but have the texture of a cake.
Whoopie pie filling is made of butter, powdered sugar, and marshmallow fluff. The combination of these three simple ingredients creates the softest, most delicious, and most velvety filling.
Whoopie pies stay fresh at room temperature for up to 5 days if they are stored correctly. They should be in an airtight container or individually wrapped with cling plastic wrap to maintain freshness. They can be stored in the fridge, but this will likely dry them out.
Yes! Once your pies are assembled, wrap each room temperature whoopie pie in at least 2 layers of cling wrap. Place them in the freezer, separately, for about 15 minutes to harden. Then, place them in a freezer container or zippable storage bag for up to 4 months.
Tips & Tricks
- Spooning the batter: Scoop the batter onto a baking sheet. The baking sheet should have a piece of parchment paper on top. This helps you to have an easier clean up and ensures that your whoopie pies do not stick to the pan. Additionally, you should only be scooping about 1- 1/2 tablespoons of batter per cake piece. If you add more than this, you will end up with flat cake pieces. Make sure there is about 2 inches of space around each whoopie pie, as these will expand.
- Baking: Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake piece comes out with moist crumbs. The tops of these whoopie pies spring back when lightly poked in the center. They will be light in color on top and just starting to turn slightly golden around the edges. You may use a spatula to lift a cake piece up to see if the bottom is lightly golden in color.
- Assembly: Do not try to fill and assemble the whoopie pies until the cake pieces are cool. They only take a few minutes to cool after they come out of the oven. Filling and decorating while the whoopie pies are still warm will lead to messy
- Storage: Store these funfetti sprinkle whoopie pies at room temperature in an airtight container or individually wrapped in at least 2 layers of cling wrap. These whoopie pies do get a bit moister as they sit due to the filling, so they will stay good at room temperature for 5 days. You can freeze these whoopie pies- read “FAQ” above for more direction.
Funfetti Sprinkle Whoopie Pies are two funfetti cake discs stuffed with marshmallow filling and rolled in rainbow sprinkles. They can be made in 30 minutes, are a unique treat, and are the most delicious bake!
For the Whoopie Pies
- 2 3/4 cup (385g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1/2 cup (100g) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- 2 large (50g) eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) butter or almond extract
- 2/3 cup (160g) milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (105g) rainbow jimmies
For the Filling
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter, cool
- 2 cups (220g) powdered sugar
- 3 cups (480g) marshmallow fluff
- additional sprinkles for rolling
For the Cake Pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a large bowl, whisk vegetable oil, granulated sugar, room temperature eggs, vanilla extract, butter or almond extract, and milk together until smooth and combined.
- Slowly, add flour mixture into the wet ingredients, whisking carefully to make sure that you do not overmix. Only mix until you see all of the dry ingredients disappear into the batter, as overmixing will lead to dry cake pieces.
- Spoon the batter onto your baking sheets in 1-1/2 tablespoon increments with about 2 inches of space around each circle of batter. Do not scoop bigger than 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter, as the whoopie pie pieces will spread rather than dome.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake pieces comes out with moist crumbs and the tops spring back when poked with your pointer finger.
- Immediately transfer whoopie pies from the pan to a wire cooling rack or plate. Allow the whoopie pies to cool before filling. This should only take a few minutes, but it is critical to ensuring stable treats.
For the Filling
- If you are using a hand mixer, bring your butter to room temperature before making the frosting. To do this, simply leave your butter out on the counter 1-2 hours before baking. If you forget, cut your butter stick into 1-tablespoon sized pieces. Microwave the pieces laying flat for 10 seconds before flipping the pieces over and microwaving for another 10 seconds. Repeat the process in 5 second increments as needed until the butter is soft but still cool to the touch. You should be able to make an indent without breaking through the butter piece when sticking your finger in it. It should not be melted whatsoever.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on high speed until smooth.
- Slowly, add powdered sugar while mixing on low speed. The mixture should be smooth.
- Add marshmallow fluff and mix on high speed for 3 minutes.
- If desired, transfer filling to a piping bag or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off to assist with spreading.
- Once your whoopie pies have cooled, pipe the filling onto half of the whoopie pies. Use a piping bag, Ziploc bag, or knife.
- Roll the whoopie pies in a bowl of additional sprinkles.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Funfetti Whoopie Pies, Sprinkle Whoopie Pies, Funfetti Cake, Marshmallow Fluff Filling, Rainbow Jimmies