These Heart Jam Cookies are thumbprint cookies with a lovey twist perfect for Valentine’s Day! Fill these soft and buttery cookies with any jam you’d like, and your loved ones are sure to be impressed by the cuteness!
- 3/4 cup (165g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (105g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup (210g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (165g) jam of choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure to cookies come off of the pan cleanly.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the room temperature egg yolk and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula to ensure the ingredients are combined throughout.
- Pour the properly-measured flour and salt into the dough and mix only until you see the dry ingredients disappear into the dough. Overmixing can lead to drier, tougher cookies.
- Roll the dough into 1-tablespoon-sized balls and place them on your prepared cookie sheet at least 1 1/2 inches apart to allow room for spreading when they bake.
- Use your thumb to push down and create 2 diagonal indents for the heart shape. Fill the indent with about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of the jam of your choice.
- Bake the cookies for 8-11 minutes or until the edges turn light golden brown, tops are slightly shiny but not wet, and the tops look light pale in color. Allow the cookies to cool before storing tightly covered or in an airtight container.
Measuring Flour: Measure flour correctly by using a kitchen scale to measure 210g exactly. If you don’t have a scale, spoon the flour into your measuring cups before using a knife to level off the top. Overmeasuring flour will lead to dry cookies.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure your butter and egg yolk are at room temperature to create a smooth, even dough. This results in a lighter cookie.
Storing: After the cookies have fully cooled, store them in an airtight container, tightly covered, or individually wrapped at room temperature for up to 6 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months. To freeze, place the cooled cookies on a sheet pan or plate in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then, stack them in a bag or container. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Jam Cookies, Heart Cookies, Thumbprint Heart Cookies