Meet Homemade Ice Cream Cookiewiches AKA Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. Creamy vanilla ice cream is stuffed between the most flavorful, buttery, soft on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside chocolate chip cookies. These are unreal... and they are ready within an hour!
What is a Cookiewhich?
A cookiewhich is a cookie sandwich. I have Chewy Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches on the blog, and those are filled with marshmallow fluff buttercream. That recipe is one of the most popular treats on the blog!
How do you upgrade a cookie sandwich filled with buttercream? Add ice cream.
Have you ever had a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich? I used to eat the pre-packaged ones in the summer, and I haven't had one in years! This homemade version is not only the most delicious treat you can get your hands on, but it's almost too easy!
- Make chocolate chip cookies
- Freeze chocolate chip cookies for 10 minutes
- Put a scoop of ice cream between two cookies
- Roll sandwich in mini chocolate chips
- Freeze sandwiches
Homemade Ice Cream Cookiewiches FAQ
In this recipe, I love simply scooping ice cream onto the sandwiches. I spread it with a knife and clean up the edges after adding the second cookie, and then I freeze the sandwiches for at least 10 minutes before serving! You could also spread softened ice cream onto a sheet pan, refreeze the ice cream, and cut the ice cream into circles before stuffing the ice cream piece between two cookies.
One of my favorite parts about this chocolate chip cookie recipe is that you do not need to chill the dough!
YES! You absolutely can use any ice cream you'd like! If you have a specific flavor you'd like or dietary restriction you need to follow, feel free to use an ice cream brand and type that you need!
I highly recommend using mini chocolate chips in both the cookies and when rolling the sides of the ice cream sandwiches. I think the cookies have such a better ratio of chocolate, look so much prettier, and aren't weighed down too much when you use mini chocolate chips.
Ingredients for the Cookies
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter is the fat and flavor in these cookies! You’ll need room temperature butter, so leave your butter out for an hour before baking. It should be soft and cool to the touch!
- Sugars: You'll need both granulated sugar and light brown sugar for these cookies! The combination adds the perfect sweetness, flavor, and moisture!
- Egg: You’ll need one room temperature egg for this recipe! This adds to the chewiness of these cookies! If you forget to leave the egg out ahead of time, place it in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using!
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract rounds out flavors in every recipe it’s featured in! Pure vanilla extract is the way to go!
- Flour: All purpose flour gives these cookies structure and a gorgeous, soft, chewy texture!
- Baking Soda: Baking soda helps these cookies to rise, puff up just a bit, and assists in the perfect texture! Do not skip it and do not substitute for baking powder.
- Salt: Salt adds such a nice kick of flavor and brings out some sweetness in the cookies.
- Corn Starch: Corn starch is one of my secret ingredients for soft cookies. Just a tablespoon works like magic!
- Mini Chocolate Chips: I could not recommend mini chocolate chips more for this recipe! Using regular chocolate chips will impact your results- in texture, in chocolate flavor, and in appearance! I simply use store-brand mini chocolate chips, and they are PERFECT!
Why These Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches Are the Best
- No-chill cookie dough
- Soft, chewy, and buttery chocolate chip cookies
- Customizable ice cream flavor
- Easy clean up
- Fun and unique to serve
- 1 hour prep time
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Massive Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
Homemade Ice Cream Cookiewiches
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chill Time: 20 minutes:
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 Cookie Sandwiches 1x
- Category: Cookies, Ice Cream, Chocolate Chip, Cookie Sandwiches
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Meet Homemade Ice Cream Cookiewiches AKA Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. Any ice cream of your choice is stuffed between the most flavorful, buttery, and soft chocolate chip cookies. Not only are these absolutely delicious and incredibly fun to make, but they will be ready within an hour!
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (120g) light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (75g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50g), room temperature
- 1 tsp (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (225g) all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (4g) salt
- ½ tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon (10g) cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups (270g) mini chocolate chips
- 2 ½ cups (550g) ice cream of choice (about ¼ cup/ 55g per sandwich)
For the Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth and creamy with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Add room temperature egg and vanilla extract to the batter. Mix on medium speed and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch to the bowl. Begin mixing on low speed. If using a stand mixer, carefully add mini chocolate chips. If using a hand mixer, simply fold mini chocolate chips into the batter with a spatula after the dry ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix. Mix just until all of the dry ingredients disappear into the batter. Dough will be light in color.
- Form dough into balls between 1 and 1 ½ tablespoons. Coat each dough ball in additional mini chocolate chips if desired. Place dough balls at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes. Cookies will be light on top, puffy, and just starting to turn golden in color around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling. They should slightly deflate!
- Once cookies are almost cool, place them in the freezer, uncovered, for 10 minutes to help chill the melty chocolate chips. Unless you are assembling the cookie sandwiches several hours after baking the cookies, do not skip this step!
- After removing cookies from the freezer, place about a ¼ cup scoop on one cookie. Use a knife or the back of a spoon to help spread, smooth and push the ice cream down onto the cookie. Place another cookie on top of the ice cream to form a sandwich.
- Use a knife to smooth out the ice cream around the edges of the sandwich before rolling in a bowl of mini chocolate chips. Spoon additional mini chocolate chips onto the ice cream portion of the sandwich to fill in any gaps!
- Immediately place the cookie sandwich, uncovered, in the freezer for at least 10 minutes before serving. Repeat the process with remaining cookies.
- If serving the sandwiches soon after the 10 minute chill time, there is no need to cover the sandwiches. However, if waiting longer to serve, cover the plate, pan, etc. with cling wrap or aluminum foil to keep them fresh!
- Store in the freezer, individually wrapped, for 1-2 months!
Keywords: Ice Cream Sandwiches, Chipwich, Cookiewhich, Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Leave a Comment!