Kit Kat S’more Brownies have a graham cracker base, Kit Kat stuffed brownie, marshmallow topping, and crushed graham cracker and candy piece topping.
Kit Kat S’more Brownies Overview
- 2-step graham cracker crust made with three ingredients
- Thick, fudgy, chewy brownie base
- Full-sized Kit Kat bars stuffed inside of the brownie base
- Simple marshmallow, graham cracker, and Kit Kat decoration
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I highly recommend using better-quality chocolate chips if you can! Obviously, there’s no need to go crazy, but using higher quality chocolate will create a deeper chocolate flavor. I love using Ghirardelli! However, I tested these with the Walmart brand and had great success…. do whatever you would like!
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter is the fat in this recipe! It adds moisture and flavor. You’ll melt the butter with the chocolate chips and add it to the batter!
- Granulated Sugar + Light Brown Sugar: Using two types of sugars adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these brownies. Light brown sugar adds extra moisture and a slight kick of nutty flavor.
- Eggs: You’ll need 3 large eggs at room temperature! If you forget to leave your eggs out ahead of time, put them in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using.
- Vanilla Extract: Even though these brownies are more chocolatey than ever, vanilla helps with flavor. Do not leave out the pure vanilla extract.
- Flour: You’ll need all purpose flour for these brownies. You’ll notice there is not a lot of flour compared to the amount of wet ingredients… that’s part of what keeps brownies rich and fudgy!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder adds an extra layer of chocolate flavor. I use Hershey brand.
- Salt: Salt is one of the most important ingredients in the whole recipe! It brings out the sweetness and helps round out the flavor!
Step by Step Process
*NOTE: full instructions in recipe card below
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil.
Step 2: Next, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar together. Pat the mixture into your prepared pan, pressing down with your hands or the back of a spoon. Bake the crust for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Melt semi sweet chocolate chips and unsalted butter together in a saucepan over medium heat.
Step 4: Mix granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and eggs together until light pale in color. Mix vanilla extract into the batter before adding the warm (not hot) chocolate and butter mixture.
Step 5: Carefully, whisk all purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt into the brownie batter. Do not overmix.
Step 6: Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Place Kit Kat bars on top of the brownie batter. Pour remaining batter on top of the candy bars.
Step 7: Bake brownies for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with slightly wet crumbs. Place mini marshmallows on top of the baked brownies. Place the brownies back in the oven for 2 minutes. Immediately, place chopped Kit Kat bars and crushed graham crackers on top of the marshmallows.
Kit Kats are an American candy bar. They have a wafer center surrounded by chocolate, so they are crunchy in the center with a smooth outside.
Yes! You can use any flavor or size of Kit Kat you would like, though make sure to have enough to cover an 8×8 inch pan!
Technically, you do not need to prebake the crust, though it will likely fall apart more easily when you cut into the brownies if you do not bake it before putting the brownie batter on top.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Mixing Eggs + Sugar: It’s important to mix your room temperature eggs, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar together using either an electric mixer or whisk. Mix for about 2 minutes or until the mixture turns light pale in color. This beats air into the batter, improves texture, and creates a shiny, cracked top.
Measuring Flour: You MUST measure your flour properly. To do so, either use a kitchen scale or spoon and level flour into your measuring cups rather than scooping flour straight from the bag. Scooping flour will lead you to overmeasure, creating cakey, dry brownies rather than chewy fudgy brownies.
Baking Brownies: Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist, slightly wet crumbs. Brownies will continue to cook as they cool, therefore, if a toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are likely overbaked.
Kit Kat S’more Brownies have a graham cracker base, kit kat stuffed brownie, marshmallow topping, and crushed graham cracker and candy piece topping.
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 cup (130g) graham cracker crumbs (about 8 sheets of graham crackers)
- 3 tablespoons (42g) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (30g) granulated sugar
For the Brownies
- 1 cup (170g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (180g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (195g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, room temperature (150g)
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (94g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup (24g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (4g) salt
- 5 king sized Kit Kat bars
For the Topping
- 2 1/2 cups (112g) mini marshmallows
- 2 graham cracker sheets, crushed
- 2 kit kats, chopped
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to combine fine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar together. Mix for about 2 minutes to ensure the butter has fully distributed into the crumbs.
- Pour the crumbs into the prepared pan. Bake the crust for about 5 minutes until lightly golden brown.
For the Brownies + Topping
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir chopped butter and chocolate chips until smooth. Stir constantly to prevent the mixture from burning.
- In a large bowl, whisk granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and eggs together until mixture turns light pale in color. This should be about 2 minutes of mixing. Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt to the batter, and whisk until the dry ingredients are just combined. Do not mix past when you see all of the dry ingredients disappear into the batter, as overmixing will lead to dry brownies.
- Pour half of the brownie batter on top of the baked graham cracker crust. Place Kit Kats on top of the brownie batter, making sure to cover as much of the batter as possible. Pour remaining brownie batter on top of the Kit Kats and spread with a knife.
- Bake brownies for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist batter. This ensures that your brownies come out fudgy and chewy.
- Remove the pan from the oven before topping the cooked brownies with mini marshmallows. Place the pan back in the oven for 2 minutes to soften the marshmallows.
- Place chopped Kit Kat bars and crushed graham crackers into the marshmallows.
- Let the brownies cool for at least an hour. Do not slice before the brownies have cooled. Store brownies, covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Brownies, Kit Kat Brownies, S’more Brownies, Candy Brownies