These soft, chewy Maraschino Cherry Chip Cookies are cherry and almond flavored, made with easy ingredients, and will be ready in 25 minutes!
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (30g) maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 2/3 cup (234g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (110g) maraschino cherries (about 20), drained and chopped
- optional: pink food dye
- optional: 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer that is fitted with a paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar together on medium speed for about 3 minutes until the mixture is smooth, slightly puffy in texture, and shiny and pale in color.
- Add your egg yolk, maraschino cherry juice, and almond extract to the batter. Beat on low speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure the ingredients are mixed together properly.
- Add flour slowly, mixing on low speed. Do not overmix past when the flour disappears into the batter. Add pink food dye until desired color is reached. Fold chopped maraschino cherries into the batter using a spatula.
- Roll dough into about 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized dough balls, about 40-45g of dough. Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes or until the tops look slightly soft, the edges look set, and the bottoms are light golden brown when the cookie is lifted off of the baking sheet with a spatula.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack or plate to finish cooling. This allows the cookies to firm up and finish baking. Do not decorate the cookies until they have cooled.
- To decorate: Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 45 second increments, stirring between each round or over the stove, stirring constantly to avoid uneven heating. Transfer chocolate to a piping bag, parchment triangle, or plastic with the tip of the corner cut off and run the chocolate back and forth over the cookie to create the drizzle effect.
- Allow chocolate to harden before storing tightly covered or in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Maraschino Cherry Cookies, Cherry Almond Cookies, White Chocolate Cherry, Christmas Cookies