These are the BEST Mini M&M Cookies. They are super easy to prepare with accessible ingredients and no chill time required. They are soft, chewy, thick, and so chocolatey because they are filled and covered with colorful and crunchy Mini M&Ms and chocolate chips.
I LOVE M&Ms. One of my very favorite and most popular recipes on the blog is this Chewy M&M Cookie Bars recipe. It makes soft and chewy cookies in bar form... heavenly. I also love these Thin & Chewy M&M Cookies. They're a thinner and slightly crispier version of these cookies if that's what you are into!
Tell Me About This Recipe
- Easy & Quick- These cookies take 15 minutes to prep and require a few common and accessible ingredients.
- Soft & Chewy Texture- These cookies have soft centers with slightly crisp edges!
- Bakery-Style Cookies- With a soft and buttery base, they are bursting with tons of chocolate and come out in smooth circles. They are topped with additional chocolate chips and candy pieces for a gourmet look.
Ingredients for Mini M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- All Purpose Flour: Plain, white all purpose flour measured properly creates soft and chewy cookies!
- Corn Starch: Corn starch is an important ingredient for structure and softness!
- Baking Soda: Baking soda gives these cookies some rise so that they are thick and puffy.
- Salt: Salt brings out the sweetness in these cookies and creates great flavor.
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter gives a buttery, sweet, and rich flavor in every bite!
- Light Brown Sugar + Granulated Sugar: Using both sugars adds to structure, moisture, and sweetness.
- Egg: A room temperature egg adds chewiness and structure.
- Vanilla Extract: These cookies get so much chocolate flavor from chocolate chips and colorful m&m candies, but vanilla completes the flavor.
- Mini M&Ms: These cookies have an endless amount of colorful, crunchy chocolate candies!
- Chocolate Chips: What's a chocolate chip cookie without chocolate chips?
Step by Step Process
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure the cookies come off of the pan cleanly.
STEP 2: Pour all purpose flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Use a wire whisk to stir these dry ingredients together.
STEP 3: In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer that is fitted with the paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
STEP 4: Add your room temperature egg and vanilla extract to the whipped butter and sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl at least once while mixing to ensure the ingredients combine properly.
STEP 5: Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and beat on medium speed only until you see the dry ingredients disappear.
STEP 6: Roll the dough into about 2-tablespoon sized balls (55-60g of batter).
STEP 7: Add additional mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms on top of the dough balls to create bakery-style chocolate chip cookies.
STEP 8: Bake cookies for 9-12 minutes or until the centers are soft, the tops are domed and look light golden brown in color, and the edges are just starting to turn golden brown.
STEP 9: Let the cookies cool before storing.
How to Make Soft and Chewy Cookies
- Use room temperature butter and egg to ensure the batter comes together properly. This is because using cold ingredients could impact the texture.
- Make sure to cream the butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar together for at least 2 minutes to add air to the dough.
- When adding dry ingredients into the wet, do not overmix. Doing so will result in denser, drier cookies.
- Slightly underbake the cookies because they will continue to cook and firm up as they cool, so only bake until the edges just start to turn light golden brown in color.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! If you do not have access to mini M&Ms, you can substitute for regular M&Ms. Doing so will impact the ratio of cookie to chocolate, so maybe add some more mini chocolate chips to balance it out!
If your cookies fell flat, it's likely because you either used butter that was too warm, did not measure the baking soda properly or it is expired, or you underbaked the cookies so that they fell when cooling.
After the cookies have finished cooling, store them in an airtight container, plastic bag, or tightly covered at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Expert Baking Tips
Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies: Wanting that perfect gourmet look? Roll the tops of the dough balls in additional mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms!
Storing: Do NOT store these cookies until they have fully cooled and the chocolate has set. The cookies will turn into a melted chocolate mess if you stack them before they have had time to fully firm up.
These BEST Mini M&M Cookies are easy to prepare with accessible ingredients and no chill time required. They are soft, chewy, thick, and so chocolatey because they are filled and covered with colorful and crunchy Mini M&Ms and chocolate chips.
- 1 ⅔ cup (233g) all purpose flour, properly measured
- 2 tablespoons (18g) corn starch
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (160g) light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (53g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50g), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (220g) mini M&Ms, divided
- 1 cup (180g) mini chocolate chips, divided
- In a medium bowl, whisk all purpose flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer that is fitted with a paddle attachment (preferred), beat room temperature butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on high speed until slightly pale in color, puffy in texture, and shiny.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to the batter and mix on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as necessary to ensure the ingredients are dispersed evenly throughout the batter.
- Slowly, add the dry ingredients to the batter on low speed to prevent the dry ingredients from spilling out of the bowl. Mix only until you see the dry ingredients disappear into the batter.
- Add ⅔ cup (147g) of mini M&Ms and ¾ cup (135g) of chocolate chips to the dough and mix until dispersed throughout the batter.
- Roll the batter into 55-60g dough balls, about 2 tablespoons of batter per cookie dough ball.
- Roll the tops of the cookie dough balls in remaining mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms for a bakery-style look.
- Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes or until the tops are pale in color, the centers look set but slightly soft, and the edges are just starting to turn light golden brown in color. The cookies will continue to bake as they cool.
- Allow the cookies to fully cool before storing in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
- Flour: Properly measure flour by measuring out 233g exactly using a kitchen scale or by using a spoon to transfer flour from your container to your measuring cup before sweeping a knife across the top to level it
- Butter: Ensure your butter is at room temperature. It should be cool to the touch and not melted whatsoever.
- Underbake: Slightly underbake the cookies, as they will continue baking as they cool. They should be pale in color on top and lightly golden brown around the edges.
Keywords: Mini M&M Cookies, Mini M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies, Soft and Chewy Cookies