These no-bake, chewy Nut Free Granola Bars are just like your childhood favorite! They are easy to make with just 6 ingredients in 10 minutes, have no nuts, can be customized with mix-ins, and are so soft and delicious.
I've been on a big oat kick lately, so I've been throwing them into cookies. Check out these M&M Oat Cookies for a crunchy kick or these Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies for a twist on your classic chocolate chip cookie.
Tell Me About These No Nut Bars
- no nuts, making these allergy friendly!
- easily customizable with desired mix-ins
- no-bake and prepared in 10 minutes
- chewy, soft, sweet, and slightly crunchy
- Old Fashioned Oats: Rolled, old fashioned oats provide the best texture in this recipe. I do not recommend substituting for another type of oats.
- Rice Crisp Cereal: Rice crisps contribute the best crunch in these bars. You can use Rice Krispies, brown rice cereal, or store brand rice crisps.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds to flavor and moisture.
- Honey: A natural sweetener that helps thicken the
- Unsalted Butter:
- Mini Chocolate Chips:
Step by Step Process
STEP 1: Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with wax or parchment paper to ease slicing, serving, and storing after the bars have cooled.
STEP 2: Add rice crips and oats to a large glass bowl. Mix the two together until evenly combined.
STEP 3: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, use a spatula to stir and combine light brown sugar, honey, and chopped unsalted butter together until smooth. Remove from heat immediately.
STEP 4: Pour the honey mixture into the oats and rice crisps. Use a spatula to fold the wet mixture into the dry. Be thorough to ensure every granola piece and rice crisp is moistened.
STEP 5: Add half of the chocolate chips (or desired amount) to the granola mixture. Fold the chocolate chips into the mixture until evenly distributed. They will likely melt a bit.
STEP 6: Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking dish. Press the mixture into the pan with the back of a spoon or with your hands. The longer you push, the more likely your bars will stay intact rather than crumbling. Press remaining chocolate chips into the tops of the bars.
STEP 7: Allow the bars to cool and set at room temperature for about an hour before slicing. Store in an airtight container, airtight bag, or tightly covered for up to 2 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
These bars are no-bake! You just need a stovetop or hot plate to bring the honey, light brown sugar, and butter mixture together.
Make sure to heat the honey mixture together for 2-3 minutes on low heat after it comes to a boil. Then, mix the mixture into the crips and oats until the two fully combine. Firmly press the mixture into your prepared pan to ensure the granola doesn't crumble or break apart.
Store the bars in an airtight container, sealed bag, or individually wrapped at room temperature for 2 weeks, fridge for up to 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Heating: Heat the light brown sugar, honey, and butter mixture for only 2-3 minutes after it comes to a boil. Heating for longer could result in drier, crunchier bars.
- Stirring: Make sure to stir the honey mixture into the oats and rice crips until every oat piece and rice crisp is coated. This could take a couple of minutes.
- Pressing: Firmly press the mixture into the prepared pan because doing so will help the bars stay intact.
These no-bake, chewy Nut Free Granola Bars are soft, chocolatey, and have the perfect crunch. They are easy to make with just 6 ingredients in 10 minutes, have no nuts, and can be customized with mix-ins.
- 4 cups (320g) old fashioned or rolled oats
- 2 ⅓ cups (72g) rice crisp cereal
- ½ cup (120g) light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (91g) honey
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup (60g) mini chocolate chips
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. This will help easily remove the bars once they have set and make slicing easier.
- In a large bowl, mix old fashioned oats and rice crisps together until combined.
- In a medium saucepan, add light brown sugar, honey, and unsalted butter. Over medium-high heat, mix with a rubber spatula until everything is melted and combined.
- Allow the mixture to come to a rolling boil before lowering the heat to low. Continue to heat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is light pale in color, thicker in texture, and you can not see any sugar crystals. Do not heat longer, as the granola bars will become hard and crunchy rather than chewy.
- Immediately, pour the mixture into the bowl of oats and cereal. Use a rubber spatula to combine the two mixtures together, ensuring that every oat and cereal piece has been coated in the butter, sugar, and honey mixture.
- Add ½ (or your desired amount) of the chocolate chips to the mixture. Mix the chocolate chips in with a spoon or spatula until evenly dispersed. The mixture will be warm so will likely melt the chocolate chips. Add additional mix-ins as desired along with the chocolate chips at this stage.
- Transfer the granola bar mixture into your prepared pan. Use the back of a spoon or your hands to push the mixture down into the pan. The more pressure you use, the more likely your bars will stay together rather than crumbling after slicing.
- Press the remaining chocolate chips (or your desired amount) into the top of the granola bars. Make sure to really stick them in so that they do not fall off of the bars after cooling.
- Let the granola bars sit at room temperature, uncovered, for about an hour before slicing and storing.
- Store the bars individually wrapped, in an airtight container, or tightly covered at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, fridge for up to 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Let the bars come to room temperature before serving or heat in the microwave for a melty, gooey treat.
Stir Constantly: Make sure to mix the light brown sugar, honey, and butter mixture together consistently while it's heating to make sure it comes together evenly and does not burn.
Pressing: Press the mixture into your prepared pan firmly. The harder and longer you press the mixture into the pan, the more likely your bars will stay intact after cooling.
Mix-ins: Add additional mix-ins as desired along with the chocolate chips before pressing the mixture into the pan.
Keywords: Granola Bars, No-Bake, Nut Free Granola Bars