These Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Sandwiches transform your favorite sandwich into a sweet, simple, and fun cookie! These PB&J cookies are two thick and chewy peanut butter cookies with strawberry jam filling.
There’s just nothing better than peanut butter. If you agree, give these No Chill Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies a try to change your life. If you want the most impressive peanut butter dessert without all of the work, these Reese’s Cookie Dough Brownie Bars are calling your name.
Tell Me About These!
- No-chill peanut butter cookie dough
- Thick, chewy, and soft peanut butter cookies with filling
- 4-ingredient strawberry jam filling
Peanut Butter Cookie Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour: You’ll need plain, white all purpose flour measured correctly. To measure properly:
- use a kitchen scale to measure
- spoon flour into your measuring cups before leveling off the flour mound on top with a knife
- Baking Soda: Baking soda gives these cookies the PERFECT rise.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor and brings out the sweetness in these peanut butter cookies.
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter at room temperature provides flavor and structure.
- Light Brown Sugar + Granulated Sugar: The combination of both sugars creates soft, chewy, and moist peanut butter cookies.
- Eggs: Eggs add to the chewy texture!
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract completes the flavor of these peanut butter sugar cookies.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: What is a pb&j cookie without peanut butter? Make sure to use creamy peanut butter for the best texture!
Step by Step Process
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure the cookies come off of the pan cleanly after baking and cooling.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt together with a wire whisk.
Step 3: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on high speed until smooth.
Step 4: Add room temperature eggs to the dough and beat on medium speed until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the dough around the sides and the bottom of the bowl back into the batter. Beat again to ensure the eggs are dispersed properly.
Step 5: Add creamy peanut butter and vanilla extract to the batter and beat on medium speed.
Step 6: Pour the whisked dry ingredients into the batter. Beat on low speed to avoid a huge mess, and only mix until you see the dry ingredients disappear into the dough. Mixing past when the dry ingredients have been incorporated can lead to dense and flat cookies.
Step 7: Roll the dough into 1-tablespoon-sized (35g) balls. If desired, roll the balls in granulated sugar for extra texture, shiny look, and a hint of additional sweetness.
Step 8: Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes until the tops are light golden brown and the sides are just beginning to turn golden brown in color. The tops should look cracked and slightly soft in the center.
Step 9: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat powdered sugar and room temperature butter on low speed until smooth to avoid spilling the powdered sugar to create the filling for the peanut butter cookies.
Step 10: Add room temperature strawberry preserves into the butter and sugar mixture. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula and continue beating until combined.
Step 11: Pour milk into the frosting. Beat until it is dispersed throughout the filling. If desired, transfer the filling to a piping bag or zippable bag with the corner snipped off of it for a makeshift piping bag.
Step 12: Spread frosting onto half of the cooled peanut butter cookies.
Step 13: Add a little less than 1/2 tablespoon of room temperature strawberry preserves on top of the strawberry frosting. Top each frosted cookie with an unfrosted cookie to create a pb&j cookie sandwich.
Frequently Asked Questions
This peanut butter cookie dough is no-chill, meaning that it does not require any time in the fridge or freezer before baking. It will be rather soft when you are working with it, but rolling the dough balls in sugar helps
To make soft and chewy peanut butter cookies, measure flour correctly to avoid overmeasuring. Too flour which will create dry and hard cookies. Also, make sure to bake only until the tops are pale light golden in color and the edges are just starting to turn golden in color.
YES! Though these are written as strawberry peanut butter cookies, you absolutely can switch out strawberry preserves for the flavor of your choice!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Measuring Flour: If you add too much flour to these cookies, they will be dense, hard, and dry. To ensure your cookies come out chewy and soft, measure your flour properly. To do this-
- use a kitchen scale to measure 275g of flour exactly
- use a spoon to transfer the flour from your container to your measuring cups before taking a knife to sweep across the top to level it
Heating Jam: To make the jam topping super ooey and gooey, I recommend popping it into the microwave for about 10 seconds before mixing aggressively. Then, top the frosted peanut butter cookies with it.
Storing: Store these cookies at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight container, tightly covered, or individually wrapped because they will lose moisture when exposed to air. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.
These Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies transform your favorite sandwich into a sweet, simple, and fun cookie! These PB&J cookies are two thick and chewy peanut butter cookies with strawberry jam filling.
For the Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups (275g) all purpose flour, properly measured
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (240g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (70g) cup granulated sugar + 1/4 cup (53g) for rolling
- 2 large eggs (100g), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8g) pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (192g) creamy peanut butter
For the Strawberry Jam Frosting
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup (150g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (80g) strawberry preserves, room temperature
- 1 tablespoons (15g) milk
For the Strawberry Jam Filling
- 1/3 cup (107g) strawberry preserves, room temperature
For the Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure the cookies come off cleanly and in one pieces after baking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter, light brown sugar, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until smooth, creamy, and fluffy. This should be 2-3 minutes of consistent mixing.
- Add room temperature eggs to the dough and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Mix vanilla extract and creamy peanut butter into the dough on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula before mixing again to make sure the ingredients are properly incorporated.
- Carefully, add the dry ingredients to your wet batter on low speed and in several additions to avoid making a mess. Mix only until you see the dry ingredients disappear into the batter, as mixing past this point can create dense cookies.
- Roll the balls into 1 tablespoon-sized (35g) dough balls. Roll each ball in the extra 1/4 cup of sugar before placing them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes or until the tops are cracked, the centers look domed and slightly soft, and the edges are light golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or plate to finish cooling.
For the Strawberry Jam Frosting
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat room temperature butter on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Slowly, add powdered sugar to the mixture, beating on low speed to avoid the powdered sugar spilling out of the bowl. Once the powdered sugar is fully incorporated, beat for another minute to ensure the mixture is smooth.
- Add the room temperature strawberry preserves to the frosting. Beat until combined. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure the ingredients are properly incorporated throughout.
- If desired, transfer the frosting to a piping bag or a zippable plastic bag with the corner snipped off for better control.
- Top half of your cooled peanut butter cookies with the strawberry jam frosting.
- Heat 1/3 cup (107g) of strawberry preserves in the microwave for about 10 seconds before stirring aggressively with a spoon to smooth it out. If desired, transfer the jam to a piping bag or zippable plastic bag with part of the corner snipped off for more control.
- Top each frosted cookie with a dollop of strawberry jam as desired. For cleaner cookies, keep the jam towards the center of the cookie.
- Add an unfrosted cookie to the top of each frosted and topped cookie to create a cookie sandwich.
- For best results, allow the sandwiches to rest to firm up before storing at room temperature tightly covered or in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Baking: Bake the peanut butter cookies only until the tops look light golden brown and cracked. The edges should begin to turn golden brown in color.
- Assembling: Do not frost or assemble the cookies until they have fully cooled for best results.
- Clean Cookies: For cleaner cookies, add the strawberry jelly topping toward the center of the cookie.
Keywords: PB&J Cookies, Peanut Butter Cookies, Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies, Strawberry Jam