These Powdered Sugar Snowball Cookies are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies, Tea Cookies, Snowball Cookies... you know them and you love them. These babies are little bundles of love, flavor, and deliciousness. These are light, chewy, and so airy! They are SO dang simple to make, are nearly impossible to mess up, and are perfect for so many occasions.
Snowball Cookie Ingredient Overview
Butter: You'll want your butter to be at room temperature. This means that you will be able to stick your finger in the stick of butter, and it will dent the stick. You shouldn't be able to push through or cut through the stick with your finger, but it should be soft and still cool to the touch!
Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar, confectioners' sugar.... same thing! Using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar keeps these cookies light and airy.
Vanilla Extract: Even though these cookies have almond flavor, vanilla extract always enhances flavor! Try not to skip out on it!
Almond Extract: These cookies with almond flavor are simply divine. Be careful not to add too much almond extract, as it is VERY powerful!
Optional Nut Mix-Ins
The majority of snowball cookie recipes incorporate nuts. I LOVE using almonds and almond extract in these, but you are more than welcome to switch up the nut if something else suits you better! A few ideas to get your mind moving-
You'll notice that the chopped nuts are optional in the recipe. The cookies you see in these pictures are made without chopped almonds because I love the consistency and texture. If you decide to use chopped nuts, make sure to finely chop them! You can do this a few different ways-
- food processor
- plastic bag and fork or wooden spoon
Powdered Sugar Cookie Variations
In addition to the nut being customizable, there are tons of ways to switch up these cookies!
- mini chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips
- leave out the nuts/ nut extracts
Other Cookie RecipesPrint
These light, chewy, and almond-flavored cookies are rolled in powdered sugar and cloud-like in texture. These are simple to make, so customizable, and so festive for so many occasions!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream room temperature butter and powdered sugar together until smooth. This can be done with a stand or hand mixer on medium speed.
- Add both vanilla and almond extract and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Slowly add flour until fully combined. Do not overmix.
- Roll balls into 1- ½ tablespoon balls. Place balls on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Cookies do not heavily spread.
- Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes. The tops of the cookies will look light in color, but the edges will be light golden brown.
- After removing the cookies from the oven, let them sit on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes. Roll each cookie in powdered sugar. If desired, roll a second time once fully cooled.
- Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for 3 days. Pro Tip: freeze these cookies (for up to 3 months)
Keywords: Snowball Cookies, Nut Free Snowball Cookies, Almond Extract, Powdered Sugar, Christmas Cookies