This Quickest Rich Hot Chocolate recipe reigns supreme over store-bought mixes. The flavor simply bursts. Not only is it rich, customizable, and so dang chocolatey, but you know exactly what you are drinking. Now THAT is comforting!
The best part about this hot chocolate is that you can literally add any type of milk you want. I, as a lactose free woman, add 2% lactose-free milk. I've made it with regular 2% too. The higher the fat content, the richer and creamier it will be. If you want ultra thick hot chocolate, use half and half!
You can truly use what you have on hand! If you find your hot chocolate is too thick for your liking, add water until you reach your desired consistency! How easy?!?!
Sweetness of Hot Chocolate
You can also customize the sweetness of your hot chocolate. You heard that right. The recipe below yields you a hot chocolate that tastes a little richer and darker than your normal Swiss Miss mix. If you want your hot chocolate to be more milk chocolate in flavor, add another tablespoon or two of sugar OR switch the chocolate chips to milk chocolate!
On the other hand, if you want your hot chocolate richer and darker than a semisweet flavor, reduce your sugar by a tablespoon, increase your cocoa powder by a tablespoon, OR use bittersweet chocolate chips. The options are endless! You can experiment a little too- how fun?!?!
Here are a few fun options for toppings! The options are endless with this quickest rich hot chocolate recipe!
- whipped cream
- cool whip
- chocolate shavings
- chocolate syrup
- 4 cups milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and sugar together until smooth. The sugar and cocoa will dissolve into the milk.
- Once the mixture is smooth, pour in chocolate chips. Whisk the cocoa until the chocolate chips are fully melted, leaving you with a smooth, creamy hot chocolate.
- Once the chocolate chips are fully melted, remove the saucepan from the heart.
- Pour and serve immediately! Top the cocoa with toppings of your choice!
Keywords: Hot Chocolate, Hot Cocoa, 5-Minute Hot Chocolate