These Chocolate Chip Cookies are made without brown sugar and are soft, chewy, and so chocolatey. They are no chill cookies made in 25 minutes, are easy to make, and can easily be frozen!
This no brown sugar cookie recipe can be made with just white granulated sugar and still has the best flavor, chewy texture with a slight crunch, and puffy and thick look.
Tell Me About This Recipe
- thick, chewy, and gooey chocolate chip cookies with the classic flavor you know and love
- no brown sugar required if you don’t have it on hand
- made with a few simple ingredients in 20 minutes with no-chill time
- easy to freeze
- Unsalted Butter: Cold unsalted butter is the base of this recipe and adds flavor to every bite.
- Granulated Sugar: Granulated sugar provides moisture, sweetness, and structure!
- Egg & Egg Yolk: An egg and egg yolk at room temperature add to structure and create a chewy texture. Do not skip out on the egg yolk.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract rounds out the flavor.
- All Purpose Flour: Simple, plain all purpose flour that is measured properly creates soft and chewy cookies.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Both leavening agents work together to create thick
- Salt: Salt enhances sweetness and brings out extra flavor!
- Chocolate Chips: Any chocolate chips your heart desires will complete these chocolate chip cookies.
Step by Step
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper. This helps the cookies come off of the pan cleanly.
STEP 2: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cold unsalted butter and granulated sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes until smooth.
STEP 3: Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat on medium speed until the ingredients combine. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl because doing so ensures the ingredients fully incorporate.
STEP 4: On low speed, mix all purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder into the dough only until you see the dry ingredients disappear. Pour chocolate chips into the batter and mix until dispersed.
STEP 5: Form the balls into about 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized balls (50g). Top the dough balls with additional chocolate chips for a bakery style cookie.
STEP 6: Bake cookies for 9-12 minutes until the edges start to turn light golden brown and the tops look shiny and slightly soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Brown sugar adds extra moisture and a hint of nutty flavor in cookies. Without it, the cookies are slightly crispier but still maintain the classic chocolate chip cookie flavor you know and love.
If your cookies came out flat, you either used butter that was too warm, undermeasured your flour, used expired baking powder or baking soda, or underbaked the cookies.
Yes. After the cookies have cooled and the chocolate chips have set, place the cookies in an airtight container, freezer bag, or individually wrap them before storing them for up to 4 months in the freezer. Leave at room temperature before storing, heat in the microwave, or place on a sheet pan in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes.
- Mix of Chocolate Chips: For best flavor and texture, use a mix of different types and sizes of chocolate chips in these cookies.
- Decorating Dough Balls: To achieve a bakery-style look, roll the tops of the dough balls in additional chocolate chips before baking.
- Bake Time: For soft and chewy cookies, the cookies should be light pale on top and barely golden around the edges. For crispier cookies, bake until the cookies are light golden on top.
These cookies are soft, chewy, and so chocolatey. They taste just like a classic chocolate chip cookie but are even better since they are made without light brown sugar and are SO easy. They do not require chill time, are made in 25 minutes, and can easily be frozen!
- 3/4 cup (165g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup (210g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50g), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (270g) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure the cookies come off of the pan cleanly.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer that is fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cold unsalted butter and granulated sugar together on high speed until smooth and fluffy. This should be about 3 minutes of mixing to create fluffy and soft cookies.
- Add room temperature egg, room temperature egg yolk, and vanilla extract to the batter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the batter around the sides and on the bottom of the bowl to ensure the batter evenly combines.
- Add all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the dough. Beat on medium speed only until you see the dry ingredients disappear. Mixing past when the dough is combined may lead to tough cookies.
- Pour chocolate chips into the batter and mix carefully to distribute them throughout.
- Form the dough into 1 1/2-tablespoon-sized balls, about 50g of batter per ball. Roll the tops of the balls in additional chocolate chips for bakery-style cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 9-12 minutes until the cookies are domed, are slightly shiny on top, and look light golden around the edges. Baking the cookies until they look golden on top will lead to drier, harder cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool fully before transferring to an airtight container or covering. For best results, wait until the chocolate chips on top have fully set before storing. Store at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Measuring Flour: Measure flour using a kitchen scale or by using a spoon to transfer flour from your container to your measuring cups before using a knife to sweep across the top to level it.
Decorating Dough Balls: For a bakery-style look, roll the tops of the dough balls in chocolate chips before baking.
Storing: For best results, wait to store the cookies until the cookies have cooled and the chocolate chips on top have set. Store tightly covered, in an airtight container, or individually wrapped for freshness.
Keywords: Chocolate Chip Cookies, No Brown Sugar, No Chill Cookies