These Red, White, and Blue Cookies are the softest and chewiest sugar cookies with a marbled effect for any patriotic celebration! Whip up this no-mixer, no-chill recipe up in less than 30 minutes for the 4th!
The 4th of July is my favorite holiday because of the fabulous food, warm weather (and dark tan), and the fun family time! SOOO, I have a whole 4th of July section on the bloggy, and I'm a huge fan of this Tie Dye Bundt Cake and these Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies!
Why You'll LOVE This Recipe
Festive: Red, white, and blue is the perfect color combo for national holidays and celebrations. 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day or any America-themed celebration can be that much more fun with these cuties!
Taste: These sugar cookies have the BEST sweet and buttery flavor and can also be elevated with any extract flavor.
Texture: Red, white, and blue cookies are the softest, chewiest cookies paired with the most perfect, slight crunch on the outside.
Easy: Make these super simple cookies with just a handful ingredients and a bowl, whisk, and spatula. These are ready in under 30 minutes and are perfect to make with kids!
- Unsalted Butter: You’ll melt your butter for flavor and moisture in every bite! Using melted butter also makes this a no-mixer recipe.
- Granulated Sugar: Granulated sugar adds to flavor, moisture, and structure.
- Egg: An egg at room temperature adds structure and chewiness.
- Almond Extract: Almond extract adds a kick of flavor to these cookies!
- All Purpose Flour: All purpose flour, measured properly, creates soft and chewy cookies.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Together, both of these leavening agents give these cookies their rise and create gorgeous, thick domes!
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor and brings out sweetness.
- Food Dye: I highly recommend using food gel instead of liquid dye since you won't have to use as much dye to get a deep color. I use this super red and this navy.
Step by Step Process
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure the cookies come off of the pans cleanly after baking.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, use a whisk to mix melted unsalted butter, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, room temperature egg, and almond extract together.
STEP 3: Add all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt to the dough. Use a rubber spatula to fold the ingredients into the dough until smooth.
STEP 4: Divide the dough into 3 equal sections. Dye one section red and another section blue. Do not dye the third section.
STEP 5: Take about ½ teaspoon of each color dough to equal 1 ½ tablespoons total (about 20-25g of dough). Roll the three pieces together. Pull the dough ball apart and roll it back together for a tie-dye effect.
STEP 6: Bake the cookies for 5-8 minutes or until the edges are golden in color, the tops are light pale, and the center is just slightly soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
You do not have to use food dye. You can simply use the base recipe without food coloring for the most fabulous sugar cookies and can decorate them as you'd like if you still want a patriotic cookie!
- Extracts: These cookies are the perfect base for any flavor. Use vanilla, butter, or almond extract for a more classic sugar cookie, or reach for strawberry, mint, lemon, or coconut extract to spice them up!
- Marbling: You can roll the three dough colors together for a simple marble look or can pull the dough ball apart and roll it back together a few times for more a tie-dyed, intertwined look.
- Customization: Customize these cookies by adding a buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting, fruity glaze, sprinkles, or another fun topping to spice these cookies up as you'd like!
How to Store
You can prepare the dough ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. You'll want to leave it at room temperature for 10 minutes before rolling and baking as directed.
You can also freeze the dough balls in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Simply bake the cookies for an extra couple of minutes directly from the freezer!
After the cookies have been baked, store them tightly covered or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
These Red, White, and Blue Cookies are the softest and chewiest sugar cookies with a marbled effect for any patriotic celebration! Whip up this no-mixer, no-chill recipe up in a pinch for the 4th!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper to ensure the cookies come off of the pan cleanly after baking.
- In a large bowl, use a whisk to stir slightly cooled melted butter, granulated sugar, room temperature egg, and vanilla or almond extract together until smooth and fully combined.
- Pour all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the dough. Use a rubber spatula to mix the dry ingredients into the wet until all flour pieces disappear into the batter.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal sections. Dye one section red and another section blue. Do not dye the third section.
- Take ½ teaspoon of each color dough to equal 1 ½ tablespoons total (about 20-25g of dough). Roll the three pieces together. Pull the dough ball apart and roll it back together for more of a tie-dye effect if desired.
- Bake the cookies for 5-8 minutes or until the edges look light golden brown and the tops look pale and are beginning to crack.
Extract: I like to use almond extract in these cookies for an extra kick of flavor, but you can use vanilla or butter extracts if you are looking for a classic sugar cookie. You can spice these cookies up with any extract you'd like if you are a fan of a specific flavor. Mint, strawberry, and lemon are all fun alternatives.