Salted Caramel Turtle Brownies are likely the richest, fudgiest, and most decadent brownies on this blog. Made with melted chocolate chips, 2 types of sugar, and a dash of cocoa powder, these brownies are so chewy and indulgent. They are topped with salted caramel, pecans, and chocolate chips!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I highly recommend using better-quality chocolate chips if you can! Obviously, there’s no need to go crazy, but using higher quality chocolate will create a deeper chocolate flavor. I love using Ghirardelli!
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter is the fat in this recipe! It adds moisture and flavor. You’ll melt the butter with the chocolate chips and add it to the batter!
- Granulated Sugar + Light Brown Sugar: Using two types of sugars adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these brownies. Light brown sugar adds extra moisture and a slight kick of nutty flavor.
- Eggs: You’ll need 3 large eggs at room temperature! If you forget to leave your eggs out ahead of time, put them in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using.
- Vanilla Extract: Even though these brownies are more chocolatey than ever, vanilla helps with flavor. Do not leave out the pure vanilla extract.
- Flour: You’ll need all purpose flour for these brownies. You’ll notice there is not a lot of flour compared to the amount of wet ingredients… that’s what keeps brownies rich and fudgy!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder adds an extra layer of chocolate flavor. I use Hershey brand. Sift it if you can!
- Salt: Salt is one of the most important ingredients in the whole recipe! It brings out the sweetness and helps round out the flavor!
A combination of factors creates chewy and fudgy brownies! First, the ingredient ratios- you’ll notice there isn’t a ton of flour in this recipe compared to the wet ingredients. Additionally, you’ll want to make sure you do not overmix! When combining your wet and dry ingredients (step 4), only mix until they are just combined! Overmixing could lead to drier and denser brownies! Finally, overbaking brownies will lead to dry brownies! Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out with gooey batter rather than clean!
NO! You absolutely do not need to use from-scratch caramel sauce! I have the hardest time making homemade caramel, so I use store-bought caramel for ease!
If you don’t use room temperature eggs in this recipe, the smooth gooey texture could be altered! Just place your eggs in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using them.
These brownies are finished when the tops look shiny and a toothpick inserted into the center of them comes out with moist batter. The batter shouldn’t look too wet or slimy, it should look gooey!
Making Brownies From Scratch
- Melt butter and chocolate chips
- Whisk wet ingredients in a large bowl
- Add dry ingredients to the batter
- Bake brownies
- Top with caramel sauce, pecans, and chocolate chips
Classic turtle treats are made up of chocolate, caramel and pecans! In this recipe, the fudgy brownie is the perfect chocolate base and is topped with salted caramel sauce, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any chocolate chips you’d like- any size and any flavor! Additionally, using store-bought caramel sauce makes this recipe a breeze! I like to use the Smucker’s Salted Caramel Sauce.
This treat can get messy very quickly when caramel sauce is involved! I think messy is fun, but if you’re hoping to serve these in a slightly cleaner way, pop the pan of brownies with the topping in the fridge for about 30 minutes or the freezer for about 10 minutes.
For the Brownies
- 1 cup (170g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (180g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (195g) light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (150g)
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (94g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (24g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (4g) salt
For the Topping
- 1 cup (170g) chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (110g) salted caramel sauce
- 2/3 cup (100g) chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, and spray with cooking oil to ensure the brownies come out of the pan cleanly!
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir chopped butter and chocolate chips until smooth. Stir constantly to prevent the mixture from burning.
- In a large bowl, whisk granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and eggs together until mixture turns light pale in color. This should be about 2 minutes of mixing. Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt to the batter, and mix until the dry ingredients are just combined.
- Bake brownies for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist batter. This ensures that your brownies come out fudgy and chewy.
- Let the brownies cool for at least an hour before topping with caramel sauce, pecans, and chocolate chips while brownies are in the pan. If desired, refrigerate the brownies in the pan for about 30 minutes or freeze the pan for about 10 minutes to allow the caramel sauce to firm up. Store brownies, covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Turtle Brownies, Turtle Flavor, Fudgy Brownies, Salted Caramel Brownies, Pecan Brownies