Meet Stovetop Rocky Road Fudge- rich, creamy, smooth, and decadent chocolate fudge with mini marshmallows and sliced almonds mixed in. Say goodbye to tough, finicky, and underwhelming fudge. This fudge is made with 5 simple ingredients in a bowl over the stove in 15 minutes.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: It is SUPER important to use semisweet chocolate chips in this recipe. Using any different could impact the way the fudge sets. I would also recommend using better-quality chocolate chips. No need to go crazy and be a big spender, but using better quality chocolate chips will yield a smoother, creamier, and better-flavored fudge. I use Ghiradelli.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This ingredient is simply magical. It eliminates the possibility of a gritty fudge and makes this process 1,000,000x easier!
- Butter: You'll need just ¼ cup of unsalted butter. Butter helps to create a smoother and creamier fudge rather than a super stiff one. I swear this transforms this fudge to taste more like a classic fudge you know and love!
- Mini Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows. How could you not love them? They are a staple of the rocky road flavor and add such a nice pop of texture to this fudge! You can use chopped jumbo marshmallows if you have them on hand or would rather use them!
- Sliced Almonds: I really love using sliced almonds rather than chopped because it doing so doesn't take away from the smooth texture of the fudge while still incorporating almonds and a slight crunch! You could use whole almonds or chopped if you'd rather!
Old-fashioned fudge is made using milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and butter and uses a heating technique that requires very specific temperatures and texture cues. Though it's delicious, it's incredibly tedious and can often lead to less-than-perfect fudge if you aren't careful. THIS FUDGE, however, skips those tricky steps and minimizes the chance of failure!
The secret to this rocky road stovetop fudge is stirring consistently. Even though this fudge is not particularly difficult to make, you do want to make sure that you stir it as it's heating to prevent it from burning! A burnt taste and texture will not be your best friends!
You do not have to add the marshmallows and almonds to this fudge! Though I think they are the perfect additions in terms of texture and flavor, there is no need to add them if you'd rather have a plain fudge!
Yes! You absolutely can double the recipe, though I would recommend chilling the fudge in a 9x13 inch pan rather than an 8x8 inch pan!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Fudge
- Chocolate Quality: This recipe is just too easy, but I do recommend using better-quality chocolate for the deepest, richest chocolate flavor and smoothest texture. I use Ghirardelli!
- Stirring: You'll want to consistently stir the mixture as it's melting over the stove. This prevents it from burning!
- Moving Quickly: Move the mixture from the stove to the pan as quickly as you can. It will start to set and will be harder to smooth out in the pan if you let it sit. As soon as you fold in the mix-ins, transfer it over to your 8x8 dish!
Slicing and Storing
This fudge does need to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour before attempting to slice it, though I truly think 2 hours in the fridge makes cutting the bars easier.
Top secret tip: Slice this fudge with a plastic knife, and wipe the knife with a paper towel after each cut for smooth, clean bars!
Store these bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week!
Rocky Road Fudge
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour:
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Yield: 8x8 pan 1x
- Category: Fudge, No-Bake
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds
- optional: additional almonds and marshmallows for topping as desired
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper or wax paper. This is incredibly important for slicing and serving fudge!
- In a large heat-proof glass bowl, mix chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and chopped butter together with a rubber spatula.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over medium heat.
- Place the bowl of chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and chopped butter over the pot of boiling water. Make sure that the water does not hit the bottom of the bowl. If it does, simply pour water out of the pot to lower the water level!
- Stir the mixture consistently until all butter pieces and chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the bowl of fudge from the heat, and immediately stir in mini marshmallows and sliced almonds.
- Transfer fudge to prepared 8×8 pan. If desired, immediately top the fudge with almond pieces and marshmallows. Store pan, covered, in the fridge for 1-2 hours before slicing and serving. Store fudge in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Keywords: Fudge, Rocky Road, Rocky Road Fudge, Chocolate Fudge
Leave a Comment!